Hello guys.

I need help on rooting my Asus Zenfone Selfie (ZD551KL). I have followed one tutorial from xda developers root-asus-zenfone-selfie-zd551kl-z00t-t3443595

I came across 2 problems. First problem is regarding the oficial ASUS bootloader unlocker tool. My phone came with Android 6 installed. I first tried to install the app on Android 6 and the app crashed. So after searching I discovered this tool is for Android 5.

So I downgraded to Firmware UL-Z00T-WW-51.15.40.1582-user (Android 5). Then I installed the unlocker app (UnlockApp_1211_ZD551KL), now the app did not crash. It did open, i clicked on agree, then I pressed the blue button to unlock device.

It asked me something about device PIN (you did not insert PIN to verify device, are you sure want to unlock).

I click ok then it reboots. However the ASUS logo screen did not change to white. I have adb installed (and fastboot tools), so whenever i check fastboot oem device-info it shows that my phone is still locked. It`s like the unlocker tool does not work.

Second problem is when flashing TWRP Recovery. I downloaded the last twrp from official site, and I was able to successfully flash it:

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

According to twrp site, I typed fastboot reboot but before clicking on enter it says you need to hold the key combo to enter recovery mode (which in my phone is volume down + power). So I do this, however, it keeps looping and blinking on ASUS logo, I stay more then 15 minutes but it does not do nothing. I then released the power and kept holding only volume down. Same thing, just stuck on ASUS Logo.

So then I release all and it boots normal to Android.

So my 2 problems are: unlocker tool is not working and I can`t enter twrp recovery even after successfully flashed it.

Please help me guys!!!
    01-14-2018 10:42 AM
    If there's a rooting tutorial for the phone on XDA, why don't you ask the person who wrote the tutorial for help (post on XDA)? He evidently knows the phone well.
    01-15-2018 12:41 PM