I'm traveling to Australia in a couple weeks and apparently have a couple options. After speaking with AT&T these are:

~ Buy a $60 (30 day) passport plan which enables me to use the phone overseas, or;

~ Unlock my phone before leaving and insert a new sim card at the airport once in Australia.

Having never done this before, I want my phone to be safe and usable once I touch down - any advice would be most appreciated!

~ Bernice
    01-14-2018 02:45 PM
    If you want to use it in the plane as soon as phones are allowed, you're going to have to set something up before you leave - which is an AT&T passport plan.

But if you want the most utility (a carrier with a good signal every place you need signal) and can wait until you clear customs to use your phone, I'd have them unlock it and wait until I was in the airport in Australia, at least. There are SIM sellers in almost every major airport in the world these days. Compare prices vs. what you get. You should at least get free voice, and maybe free text. Unlimited data on a 30 day prepaid plan (they may still call that PAYG - pay as you go) is doubtful. But wifi will work, if you have access to it.

And if you can wait just a bit longer (or have a friend where you're going, who can do it for you), go into a few mobile phone stores (they don't call them cell phones) and compare plans and prices before you buy.

As for safe, keep the phone on your person - in a pocket, purse, belt-clip case - something. And since the internet is the same here as it is there, don't go to strange (you know what I mean) web sites.

(All that green you see is my envy - I love Australia, but I'm not going now.)
    01-14-2018 03:49 PM