Hello all,

I am hoping that you can help me with my questions.

I've been using HTC M7 for last 4+ years on Verizon (Family plan) and am thinking of purchasing a new used phone since I have been having some issues with my HTC (camera quality, broken haptic/vibration, no ring tone once a while, etc).

Since my budget is limited, I am checking an used Samsung S6 (or S6 Edge) on ebay and learned that I had to have a sim card for this phone (I don't think my HTC has sim card)

Since I am a Verizon customer, can I buy a sim card on ebay and activate an S6 by myself without paying the activation fee, or do I have to bring a phone to Verizon and pay the activation fee?

It may be a very basic question but I'd appreciate if you could help me with my question.

Best
    J.
    01-17-2018 03:45 PM
    Hello all,

I am hoping that you can help me with my questions.

I've been using HTC M7 for last 4+ years on Verizon (Family plan) and am thinking of purchasing a new used phone since I have been having some issues with my HTC (camera quality, broken haptic/vibration, no ring tone once a while, etc).

Since my budget is limited, I am checking an used Samsung S6 (or S6 Edge) on ebay and learned that I had to have a sim card for this phone (I don't think my HTC has sim card)

Since I am a Verizon customer, can I buy a sim card on ebay and activate an S6 by myself without paying the activation fee, or do I have to bring a phone to Verizon and pay the activation fee?

It may be a very basic question but I'd appreciate if you could help me with my question.

Best
    J.
    You will need to bring the phone to the store to activate. Ask them nicely to waive the activation fee
    01-17-2018 04:11 PM
    Thank you gknicks for your quick reply.
    Should I just bring a phone (once purchase it on ebay) and purchase a Verizon sim card at store, or can I also buy a sim card on ebay and bring it with a phone?
    Thanks
    J.
    01-17-2018 04:21 PM
    First your M7 has a SIM card, but it's larger than most new phones, I know because I sold that phone for Verizon.

Verizon may give you a free SIM, I've gotten free SIM cards for device swaps in the past. Locally owned Verizon stores will usually charge for the SIM.

There is no activation fee to switch or activate a different phone, the activation fee applies to new lines of service and they have an upgrade fee when you do a payment agreement.

Verizon can change the phone via customer service over the phone or online chat if you are the account owner, or they will handle it in store. I've done swaps all 3 ways with no fee, I've had Verizon since 2012.
    01-17-2018 04:24 PM
    Thanks L0n3N1nja!

You are correct.
    I was just able to pop a SIM card tray (M7) and found a white SIM card (about 1 1/16" x 1" card) on it.
    I somehow believed there was no SIM for HTC M7, I didn't even bother opening the SIM tray before.

Too bad that I can not use this card on Galaxy S6. Hopefully I get luck and my Verizon store will give me a free sim card.

Thanks again
    Jay
    01-17-2018 04:48 PM
    Thanks L0n3N1nja!

You are correct.
    I was just able to pop a SIM card tray (M7) and found a white SIM card (about 1 1/16" x 1" card) on it.
    I somehow believed there was no SIM for HTC M7, I didn't even bother opening the SIM tray before.

Too bad that I can not use this card on Galaxy S6. Hopefully I get luck and my Verizon store will give me a free sim card.

Thanks again
    Jay
    As long as it’s corporate it will. If you don’t have any call customer care and they will ship you one for free or even try cutting it down.
    01-17-2018 08:47 PM
    Thanks prestigiouswireless,
    My wife was around our local Verizon Wireless retail over the weekend, she walked in and asked if they could give me a nano SIM card if I were to get S6 and the answer was yes!
    And not activation fee, too!
    Thanks all for the tips and advise.
    J,
    01-22-2018 05:28 PM