How to release storage space after downgraded Google play service

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Today I upgraded my Google play service from version 7.5.71 (stock/preinstalled) to 11.9.51 using the APK installer. In my Android 5.0 settings>apps, this app size changed from 65MB with 1MB data to 143MB with 31MB of data (cache always less than 1MB). In settings>storage, the Apps (app data&media content) space increased 0.1GB and Used (files of other types) increased 0.06GB. Question: Shouldn't the increment be (143+31)-(65+1)=108MB, instead of 0.1GB+0.06GB≈160MB? (I didn't change any settings after upgrade).

Due to the huge size, I used UNINSTALL UPDATES button to downgrade it back to 7.5.71. Although the app reverted to 65MB with 1MB data, the settings>storage revealed the problem: The Apps space decreased 0.1GB correctly but the Used space merely decreased 0.02GB, not as 0.06GB as aspected. As such, the Available space didn't revert to the size before the upgrade, it less 40MB than the original size. Using DiskUsage utility, I found the 40MB is remain in the `System data`. I have tried to clear the cache, clear data, disable/enable play service, restart my phone but none able to release the 40MB from Used space. As my Android is not rooted, I can't uninstall the play service totally for further troubleshooting.

The problem can be reproduced easily. Every times after install then uninstall the v11.9.51 APK, about 30~40MB free space lost, which went into System data. Please note that these were done offline to ensure no data is downloaded.

How to free up my lost space?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1