I love my Galaxy Note 2, which I have had for a long time. I have the Netflix app, which I tried to sync with my TV, but it just tried and tried without success. Watching Deep Space Nine in the phone screen was much less satisfying that watching it on my large TV screen.

My son then stood beside me, and with his iPhone X did the same thing with instant success. (same TV, wifi, TV show, etc. ) He said my phone was too old and slow and I should upgrade.

Is processor speed the reasonable explanation, and should upgrading to the latest Note version make it work?

Thank you, Jon Jacobs
    01-20-2018 10:34 AM
    The processor speed in the Note 2 is far faster than a video, so that's not a reasonable explanation. But if you're looking to upgrade you could use it. (Remember, though, that since the Note 5, the battery is non-removable, so once it goes [maybe 2 years] you have to send the phone to Samsung for a replacement, wait a week or two, pay shipping and labor. Buying a battery for $9 and replacing it yourself is a lot easier [and cheaper] which is why I'm limiting myself to a Note 4 until they go back to replaceable batteries or everyone seals their phones and I'm forced to finally buy one with a non-removable battery - maybe in 10 years.)
    01-20-2018 11:52 AM
    Thank you for the information. So if the problem is not my Note 2 processor speed, how do I get NetFlix to work with my TV? It works fine for my son's phone.
    01-20-2018 08:16 PM
    The Note is quite capable of Netflix streaming. My old Galaxy SIII mini, which has the specs similar to a Galaxy SII, is being used as the Netflix remote at my parent's home.

How are you streaming to the TV? I setup a Chromecast 2nd generation at my parent's house.
    01-20-2018 08:26 PM
    I also use Chromecast. While I am sure my phone is capable of streaming to the TV, it is nevertheless timing out on the attempt to start. My theory is that an app is using too much processor or bandwidth.

Specifically Good for Enterprise, which keeps me connected to the network at work and work e-mail and alerts about system performance. Required for my job.

My concern is if I spend the money on an upgrade, the app would still be too much of a hog and keep me from reliable use for connecting Netflix to my TV.

Just guessing. What do you think?
    01-25-2018 12:14 PM
    > since the Note 5, the battery is non-removable
    Is that true of all Samsung Galaxy models, or just the Note series?
    01-25-2018 12:19 PM
    What Android version is on the Note 2?

Firefox, for example, work much better (faster initial page load when first opening the app) on Marshmallow+ than on Jelly Bean (4.3).
    On 4.3 I have to wait about 10 seconds for the first website to open, whilst on 6.0+ it's near instant.
    01-25-2018 12:54 PM
    Have you done the basics? Reboot the modem and router. Forget and reconnect your phone to the router. Uninstall then reinstall the app. Clear your cache and reboot.
    Do you still have the same problem? Good luck
    01-25-2018 03:01 PM
    Who is your carrier. Sprint in our area has become congested. Of course, that doesn't explain your son's success if he has the same carrier.
    01-25-2018 03:22 PM
    My carrier is AT&T, and I believe that is the same for my son.
    >Reboot the modem and router
    That seems not relevant, since my son gets instant success on the same modem and router.
    >Clear your cache and reboot
    ?? That sounds like something one does with Internet Explorer on a Windows computer
    >What Android version is on the Note 2?
    I thought the ancient Note 2 model implied the Android version. So how do I learn the answer to that question?
    01-26-2018 11:01 PM
    That seems not relevant, since my son gets instant success on the same modem and router.
    ?? That sounds like something one does with Internet Explorer on a Windows computer
    I thought the ancient Note 2 model implied the Android version. So how do I learn the answer to that question?
    They are the basics, because doing the things listed rules out some things and fixes others.
    Rebooting the modem, a simple procedure, is so your phone gets a new connection. Your sons phone doesn't need this, but will be fine.
    Clearing the cache and rebooting is something every Android user needs to know for phone maintenance, not a windows reference.
    Your Android version is in the settings, which I suggest you explore.
    As you have not heard of wiping the cache and rebooting, I'll bet its never been done.
    But, what do I know. Good luck
    01-27-2018 01:58 AM
    They are the basics, because doing the things listed rules out some things and fixes others.
    Rebooting the modem, a simple procedure, is so your phone gets a new connection. Your sons phone doesn't need this, but will be fine.
    Clearing the cache and rebooting is something every Android user needs to know for phone maintenance, not a windows reference.
    Your Android version is in the settings, which I suggest you explore.
    As you have not heard of wiping the cache and rebooting, I'll bet its never been done.
    But, what do I know. Good luck
    01-27-2018 03:21 AM