My dad used to work at Fujitsu and he told me that lower level laptop manufacturers will buy "poorer" binned batches of CPUs, LCDs and other binnable components at a lower price.

As an example, a top tier manufacturer like Dell will only buy batches of Intel CPUs with 0.01% defects and won't accept anything less, while lower tier laptop manufacturers will accept batches with higher defect rates in them for a lower price, hence why Acer's reputation for quality laptops was considerably lower than a top tier manufacturer like HP or Dell back in the day.

Does that happen with cell phones? Will Samsung, for example, only accept top binned SD845s and smaller companies like Xiaomi willing to accept lower quality batches?
    01-22-2018 12:56 PM
    Binning is actually selling a downgraded chip as a downgraded chip. IOW, an i7 that doesn't meet i7 specs, but meets i5 specs is sold as an i5.

Cellphone SoCs aren't graded like that, so a Snapdragon 820 that doesn't quite make it can't be labeled 801.

Phone LCDs with stuck or dead pixels aren't sold as "inferior" screens - no one wants them even on a cheap phone. (If RAM is slow, or missing areas, it's defective, not "a lower quality part that still gets sold". There's very little of that these days, but some wafers aren't 100%, and some chips do get dumped.)
    01-22-2018 01:51 PM
    Binning is actually selling a downgraded chip as a downgraded chip. IOW, an i7 that doesn't meet i7 specs, but meets i5 specs is sold as an i5.

Cellphone SoCs aren't graded like that, so a Snapdragon 820 that doesn't quite make it can't be labeled 801.

Phone LCDs with stuck or dead pixels aren't sold as "inferior" screens - no one wants them even on a cheap phone. (If RAM is slow, or missing areas, it's defective, not "a lower quality part that still gets sold". There's very little of that these days, but some wafers aren't 100%, and some chips do get dumped.)
    Yeah I think I used the word binning wrongly. I was talking more about defect rate per batch. Does Samsung pay more money to Qualcomm for batches with lower defect rates than a smaller manufacturer (both companies buying the exact same product)?
    01-22-2018 01:57 PM