Where should I edit my contacts to top me from having duplicates

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

In my contacts I have duplicate back-ups as many as 6 or 8 in some cases. Google, Exchange, Exchange, Exchange Activesync, messenger, duo, cloud

This is just one example. I would like to edit my contacts to clean up my contacts. But which place is the master - my phone, google, outlook

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So, each of those represents a different account that you're connected to. Duo should be able to connect to the contacts on your Google account, there shouldn't be an additional, but it may then also be able to merge. You can customize what contacts you can see in your contacts app (if you're using the Google one). Open the app, tap the overflow menu (3 dots in the top right) and select to customize the view.

Ah... Also, if you slide in the menu from the left, you can change from all contacts to just the contacts for the selected account. This actually would be what you're looking for I think.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's syncing those contacts from those separate accounts. If you delete the contact from one of those accounts, you won't be able to use it when you're using that source (e.g., if you delete the contact from your Exchange account, and then try to find it when accessing that Exchange account from Outlook on your computer, it'll be gone).

You should be able to join/merge duplicate contacts. Which phone do you have? The steps might differ depending on the phone, but in general, open the Contacts app, tap Menu, and look for an option to join/merge contacts. Or you might have to open one of the duplicate contacts, tap Menu, and look for the option there.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And if you can't find it there, export your contacts, then import the same file to Contacts, to your Google account. Then after the phone has synced to Google, you can go to Google Contacts, click More, then Merge duplicates, then let the phone sync.