Only option to get rid of my password is to clear all credentials

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an Android Lenovo tablet and someone else seemed to set a password on it and I can’t get it off. The NONE and SLIDE options are greyed out. And with reaserch. I find that the only way to get rid of it is to click the “Clear Credentials (remove all certificates)” option which I’m not sure of.

Can someone tell me if this would clear off my photos/videos. As when I press this option it then comes up “Attention Remove all the contents?” Which worries me a bit

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you use the Clear Credentials from the security settings, nope, this wouldn't touch your personal files, only security certificates that might have been installed by device administrators. If you added an e-mail account, a corporate one usually, that could have installed security policies (which are clearly stated before you install the account on your phone, but that's besides the point) that force a secure lockscreen. If you remove the credentials or the account, that should allow you to set up an insecure lockscreen again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How did someone else set a password? Did someone borrow it? Or do you mean that it's a used tablet, and the previous owner set a password on it that you don't know?

You can't retrieve or get rid of a password. Either find out who set the password and get them to tell it to you, or do a hardware button factory reset (from the Recovery Menu). This will trigger Factory Reset Protection, which means it will ask for the Google account and password that were associated with the tablet -- presumably, that's your account, so you should be able to get past it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca