I recently bought a second hand LG G5. After setting it up, I navigated to the update section in settings to update to the latest version of Android but it says I am already on the latest version. The current version is 6.0.1. As far as I know Android 7 is available for the LG G5 so why will it not allow me to update to that version?
    01-31-2018 06:34 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Is the phone carrier-branded? If so, are you on that carrier's network? For carrier-branded phones, you usually have to be on that carrier's network to get the official update over the air.
    01-31-2018 07:16 PM
    Thank you for your reply. By "carrier-branded" do you mean sim-locked to a specific network? It is not sim-locked.
    02-01-2018 04:49 AM
    I mean phones sold directly by the carrier. Being SIM-unlocked doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't carrier-branded, since many phones bought directly from a carrier come unlocked to begin with. But those carrier-branded phones still need to be on that carrier's network in order to get the official system update over the air. When the phone boots up, does it just show the LG logo, or do you see a carrier logo? Is there a carrier logo etched on the case?
    02-01-2018 11:18 AM
    Thanks for your help so far B. Diddy! The phone is not carrier-branded. The LG logo appears on startup and there is no physical branding on the phone.
    02-01-2018 11:42 AM
    Hmm. What's the exact model number, in Settings>About Phone​?
    02-01-2018 01:50 PM
    If it helps, my LG G3 never showed Marshmallow in Software Update, so I downloaded it via LG's software update tool. All went well.
    02-01-2018 01:58 PM
    The model number as listed in the Settings -> About Phone section is "LG-H850". I'm stumped!
    02-01-2018 03:43 PM
    You should get the update from LG. Try Software & Firmware | LG U.K. Software Update, Method 2.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-01-2018 04:02 PM
    Thanks everyone very much for your help! Rukbat, I followed your advice but that utility gave a message that it was unable to update my phone and I should use the LG Bridge utility. I downloaded and installed LG Bridge and it installed in Korean! I managed to navigate the settings and change it to English. I was then able to update the phone.

However, I am still considering sending this phone back to the seller because I want one that can do OTA updates. I don't have time to manually update my phone every time an update is needed.

The update is running now. I will let you know how it goes.
    B. Diddy and belodion like this.
    02-01-2018 05:12 PM
    An update ran and completed in LG Bridge overnight but I'm not sure which version. After the phone restarted after the update, it asked me to enter my startup pin and then the phone got stuck on a screen that said "Encrypting" at the top followed by a progress bar below and a "Reset phone" button below. After leaving it like that for hours there was no progress. I therefore clicked the reset phone button and it erased my phone and started up as if a factory reset has been done. I set the phone up again and it is still on Android 6.0 and not Android 7.0. When I run LG Bridge and click on Software Update it says "The phone is up to date".

Are there any other suggestions please? Rooting is not an option for me. I simply want the phone to run the latest version (Android 7.0) so I can restore from a previous backup of my lost phone.
    02-02-2018 04:57 AM
    I have the phone carrier-branded lg g 5. I am not in carrier's network .how can i upade phone with out go to carriers network
    05-20-2018 12:38 AM