Hi everybody.
    This is my first time posting for help on a forum such as this. I'm not a complete numpty tech wise but I'm no Bill Gates either.
    I have an old Samsung S4 running lollipop 5.0.1 which I keep as a spare phone and only really use for streaming iPlayer and things like that. The problem is that the memory is completely full with old photos and vids that I want to keep but I can't find them in My Files so that I can move them to USB or SD storage. I hooked up the USB stick to the phone and checked through every single file and folder but could only find a mere handful of pics. I tried connecting to the laptop and again painstakingly went through every single file and folder but found nothing. I then tried Smart Switch with the same results. The photos are not hidden in private mode, there is no screen lock or security as it's an old phone and I couldn't be bothered using any and the photos and vids are physically visible from the gallery. They are backed up to the cloud and I know I could download them to a stick that way or NFC them to another device and just delete manually from the phone but I'd like to know if anybody can let me know where I'm going wrong here. I've done it before years ago and I don't have any trouble doing it with the S7 or S8.
    Any ideas?????
    All help much appreciated in advance. Thank you.
    02-01-2018 04:39 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Connect the phone to your computer, swipe down the notification panel, tap the USB icon, and make sure MTP/File Transfer is selected. Then, using Windows Explorer, look in the phone's storage for the /DCIM/Camera directory. Any photos or videos taken by the Camera app would be saved there.
    02-01-2018 11:04 AM
    Gallery (which is an app, not a location in the phone) will show photos that only exist in the cloud backup but not on the phone - which is probably the case here.
    02-01-2018 01:49 PM
    Gallery (which is an app, not a location in the phone) will show photos that only exist in the cloud backup but not on the phone - which is probably the case here.
    It depends on how much Internal Storage the phone says is being taken up by Photos/Videos (in the Settings>Storage menu). If it really is several GB, then those photo files are saved somewhere on Internal Storage -- the question would be if the OP has found the correct directory yet.
    02-01-2018 02:20 PM
    I didn't know whether to read "the memory is completely full with old photos and vids" as "Settings/Storage lists them as taking up storage" or as "they're visible in Gallery, so they must be taking up storage". If they're on the phone, unless he's using some sort of stenographic file obfuscation app, or they're in some folder off the root of the filesystem. they should show in My files (which is why I use a couple of other file managers, which can all start at / in internal storage - even without rooting - /data still won't show anything in it if the phone isn't rooted, but at least I can get to /).
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-01-2018 02:27 PM
    The other thing I was thinking was that a ".nomedia" file might have been placed in the main directory where all of the photos are, for whatever reason.
    02-01-2018 03:03 PM
    Thanks everybody. Just an update on how I got on. The pics and vids were definitely stored on the device, about 3.5gb of them. They were stored to the cloud as well but we're also physically on device storage. I had already tried everything you suggested. First thing was checking DCIM/camera but only 6 photos there. After I posted I thought of using the USB convertor and lead that came with the S7. I couldn't find them then either even by opening gallery. So I unplugged and opened gallery and everything was there. Plugged back in and they disappeared instantly before my eyes. Disconnected and they reappeared. I tried everything that you all suggested again and opened every single file, folder, sub-folder - I'm sure you know what I mean - to no avail.
    In the end up I just connected to the laptop and hit "import all, delete after importing" and everything appeared on laptop. Checked gallery and it was no empty except for the cloud storage and now got over 3.5gb free on the device. Really don't understand all that but I see that others on here had the very same problem. Maybe a glitch, virus, something like that????? I don't know. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all for your time in trying to assist me and I hope you all have a pleasant night.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-01-2018 06:02 PM
    Another satisfied customer ! Well done for working it out on the end! Happy Days!
    02-01-2018 10:05 PM