Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

My phone has been lagging, generally messing up and I want to do a factory reset but I want to back everything up first. When I go to backup/reset , back up my data is on but below that it says " no account currently storing backup data" and is greyed out so that I can't select it. Help!
    02-06-2018 04:59 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? If you go to Settings>Accounts​, is your Google account listed there?
    02-07-2018 11:31 AM
    You can (and should) always keep a local backup - see Backing up an Android Device.
    02-07-2018 01:56 PM
    I've got this problem too! I can't find anything online that actually solves the problem. Most posts are a couple years old. Whenever I check my Google Account Settings it shows all the categories are turned on and "syncing." But I can't get it to let me choose a backup account.

I've already tried everything I can find online. Reboot multiple times, modified Google Transport Services and the other one. I'm afraid to factory wipe it because it doesn't appear to be backing up. If I factory reset without a chosen backup account, all my data will be lost, right?

I have an Android ZTE N9518 running Android 5.1. There are no additional updates for my phone that I'm aware of. It was originally Boost Mobile, but now I've turned it into my Q-Link (lifeline, free phone based on income) device.
    Attached Thumbnails No account currently storing backup data-screenshot_2018-03-21-01-42-44.png  
    03-21-2018 12:52 AM
    I've got this problem too! I can't find anything online that actually solves the problem. Most posts are a couple years old. Whenever I check my Google Account Settings it shows all the categories are turned on and "syncing." But I can't get it to let me choose a backup account.

I've already tried everything I can find online. Reboot multiple times, modified Google Transport Services and the other one. I'm afraid to factory wipe it because it doesn't appear to be backing up. If I factory reset without a chosen backup account, all my data will be lost, right?

I have an Android ZTE N9518 running Android 5.1. There are no additional updates for my phone that I'm aware of. It was originally Boost Mobile, but now I've turned it into my Q-Link (lifeline, free phone based on income) device.
    Did you ever find a solution ? I have the same problem for a long time ...
    07-06-2019 10:58 PM
    I did not. Nobody but you ever responded to my query. I assume either nobody knows how or cares enough to help.
    07-07-2019 11:37 AM
    I did not. Nobody but you ever responded to my query. I assume either nobody knows how or cares enough to help.
    I've tried all sorts of "solutions" that somehow worked for others but not for me. This bug has been there at least since 2014 ....
    07-07-2019 11:40 AM
    Wow that's a long time to be dealing with this issue , does this phone have a SD card ?
    07-07-2019 11:56 AM
    Wow that's a long time to be dealing with this issue , does this phone have a SD card ?
    Yes, a 64mb. It's a Galaxy Note 3 with Marshmallow 6.01. Why would this matter ?
    07-07-2019 12:14 PM
    It may be that Google's modern backup system requires Marshmallow or higher, as mentioned here: https://support.google.com/drive/ans...DAndroid&hl=en. It talks about Pixel or Nexus phones there, but I'm guessing it's not just limited to those devices.

It'd be interesting to see if anyone else with a Lollipop phone can check and see if their Google backup works, or if it shows the same thing.
    07-07-2019 12:34 PM
    It may be that Google's modern backup system requires Marshmallow or higher, as mentioned here: https://support.google.com/drive/ans...DAndroid&hl=en. It talks about Pixel or Nexus phones there, but I'm guessing it's not just limited to those devices.

It'd be interesting to see if anyone else with a Lollipop phone can check and see if their Google backup works, or if it shows the same thing.
    I'm running MM 6.01 and it's happening ...
    07-07-2019 12:39 PM
    Yes, a 64mb. It's a Galaxy Note 3 with Marshmallow 6.01. Why would this matter ?
    You can back up to SD card ?
    07-07-2019 12:40 PM
    Yes of course, I use Titanium and also full system backups with TWRP but that's not the solution, only a work around ... the problem is still there.
    07-07-2019 12:53 PM
    Yes of course, I use Titanium and also full system backups with TWRP but that's not the solution, only a work around ... the problem is still there.
    Well your on a different level , as your rooted with a custom recovery, was this issue before phone been modified (stock) ?
    07-07-2019 01:02 PM
    I don't remember, probably not. But I've been with this setup for quite a while and I know that it used to work and sync automatically with Google Drive. I just started to notice this a few weeks ago but chance but I'm unsure when it actually started to happen.
    I'm saying that this has been around for years because I see posts from other users as far back as 2013 ans still no definite solution.
    07-07-2019 01:08 PM
    I don't remember, probably not. But I've been with this setup for quite a while and I know that it used to work and sync automatically with Google Drive. I just started to notice this a few weeks ago but chance but I'm unsure when it actually started to happen.
    I'm saying that this has been around for years because I see posts from other users as far back as 2013 ans still no definite solution.
    I was trying give some advice to some here if they have SD card they could temporarily store there while trying a factory reset .

Yours is going be little harder , don't know with root access you changed or deleted anything from system or are on a modified firmware.
    07-07-2019 01:15 PM
    I was trying give some advice to some here if they have SD card they could temporarily store there while trying a factory reset .

Yours is going be little harder , don't know with root access you changed or deleted anything from system or are on a modified firmware.
    I understand. Nevermind for now .... thanks for your time.
    07-07-2019 02:11 PM
    Why not forget about the cloud back up and use Smart Switch to save on your Pc? You could then reset the device and hopefully a fresh install my correct the issue
    07-07-2019 03:58 PM