How to Decrypt SD Card Files Encrypted by Samsung Note 8

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Few months ago I encrypted my Micro SD card on my Samsung Note 8 for security purposes, and 2 days back the phone overheated and asked me to turn off. After awhile I was trying to turn it on but got no luck. I brought the phone in the Samsung Service Centre and they fixed it by replacing the motherboard. And now the problem is, of course, I didn't get any chance to decrypt the SD card and now I cannot decrypt it because the phone is telling to me that I have to use the same phone I used for encryption. I have tried a solution from this (How to decrypt a microSD card after a factory reset of the device used to encrypt it?) but no luck. Where I copied the encrypted files on my PC then format-encrypt-copyfiles... etc... Or maybe because the guys uses S5 here and I have Note 8. Whew! I really don't know what to do. I need some important documents in that SD card and even Samsung cannot give any solution about my problem. Hope you guys can give me some solutions.. Thanks in advance.

Jobe77

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Hi!

I'm sad to have to inform you that without the original phone it's almost completely impossible to open it.

The only way is to use some kind of hacking software, that tries to open it, but depending on how many letters you are using, it can take from 1 hour to 10000 years..

Jobe77

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Samsung keeps the encryption key on the device, and if I'm not totally wrong, a part of it hardwired.

So as soon a you reset the phone, the key is lost, it is a stupid (or clever) solution, to protect the data if the phone is stolen.

The only way possible, would be if Samsung has a backdoor in the system, otherwise it's almost impossible.. sorry..

I've been thru the same thing, i do recommend to have a backup system that copies all files.
I'm using a app that copies all files thru sftp to my own sftp server (that also is encrypted)..

borgyborg

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Yes. it is the stupid solution ever. They should have asked to atleast the email or Samsung Knox to save the encryption key in case such thing happens. OMG. I have lost all my important documents. And the thing is I just travelled last month and I didn't have a copy of my photos. I'm started to hate Samsung!

Jobe77

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I can fully understand, there are however third party encryptions that on a rooted phone works as (or better) that Samsung's.

if the phone isn't rooted it uses containers..
that way you always can keep copies of keyfiles.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm started to hate Samsung!

Sorry, but this is a fact of MOST encryption, this is not a Samsung-specific fault. There are other reasons to hate Samsung, don't make this the only one lol...

As has been indicated already - the key to unlock that encryption was stored on the old motherboard. Even though it's the same shell, the important parts for this have been replaced. The unlock key was either stored in the Knox module or just within your "profile" on the device. Regardless of which is the case, that key is lost.

A guy I used to work with had a GREAT response in situations like this, when a customer complained about losing critical documents after a HDD failure.. "So, once we replace the drive we can restore that data from your backup. Oh, you don't have a backup? Then I guess it wasn't critical data." The point? Always have at least 2 copies of ANYTHING that you deem critical or that you absolutely can not lose. You're not the first, you won't be the last.

Am I sorry that it happened? Absolutely, especially since the failure sounds like it was entirely out of your control. But those unplanned failures are why I'm in the process of getting my computer backed up to a cloud service, that will make the THIRD copy of irreplaceable data from my laptop.

jvaldez225

Nov 13, 2018
Visit site
I'm on the same boat. I ended up restoring my device after switching from AT&T to T-Mobile and upgrading from 7.0 to 8.0 Oreo in the same process and now I can't decrypt my SD card. I was unaware if the SD Card was encrypted I had to decrypt it first before restoring. I do have a previous backup of my phone taken a few weeks prior on Smart Switch but I'm unsure what happens now. If I restore would I go back to Nougat and AT&T settings? Is my encryption key totally lost regardless? During the switch the phone had a few basebands and security patches to update before going to T-Mobile and updating to Oreo.