Choose A Box

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi. Feb.09.2018

I'm in the process of buying an Android Set Top Box. It will be connected to my 4k 70” Vizio via HDMI, and a Denon 3805 via optical. No game playing, mostly Kodi like services, perhaps Netflix down the road, and some minor web surfing. I will be adding an Rii i8+ backlit keyboard and 32gb micro sd card.

I have looked at 50+ Set Top Boxes. The more I look, the more I'm confused. My basic criteria is Android 7+, 4k @ 60fps, HDR10, automatic frame rate switching, H.265 Hardware Decoding, Widevine DRM level 1, Dolby Digital Audio, 2GBG RAM, NOT S905 or S912 Processor, BlueTooth, 2 or more USB ports, optical out, 2.4/5 GHz. Wifi, 100M Ethernet, OTA firmware updates, a decent GUI, a Website, a forum, and did I mention Android 7+.

<Begin Rant:>
I am totally amazed on how few boxes are on Android 7. Android 6 was released October 2015, Android 7 was released August 2016, and Android 8 was released August 2017. Looking at my calendar, today is February 2018. Have I made my point?

It must be a whole lot of money to upgrade a box to a newer rev of Android. I asked Minix if they were coming out with a box on Android 7, and they said they had no plans to go to Android 7. Are they kidding me?
<End Rant!!>

My search has led me to the Zidoo H6 Pro. It appears to have it all. I really would prefer the Zidoo X9S, but, believe it or not, it's Android 6. Am I being silly about my obsession with Android 7?

My concern with the Zidoo H6 Pro is that it is a teeny box, and it will run very HOT.

Anyone here have experience with Zidoo H6 Pro? Should I reconsider the Zidoo X9S?? Any suggestions for an alternative box?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

M….