Auto-Complete not working in Gmail on Android Nougat

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi

Auto-complete is not working for email addresses that are not in my contacts but I have previously sent an email to.

Scenario
I send an email from Gmail to person@place.com, they are not in my contacts, and this is the first time I have sent an email to them, so I have to type in the whole address, this is as expected. The second time I send an email to person@place.com I expect the email address to auto-complete so I don't have to type it in full again. This does not happen

Diagnostics
I've checked the Gmail app has access to contacts, if I type in an address that is in my contacts it will auto-complete.
I have looked in the "Other Contacts" group in Google contacts in a browser on my laptop, I have checked if person@place.com exists before I send an email from Android and it does not, I check after I have sent the email from Android and it is there. Still no auto-complete in Android, but it does auto-complete in gmail in a browser on my laptop, so contacts sync is working.
I have checked the settings in Gmail on my laptop and the setting in General - "Create contacts for auto-complete:" is set to "When I send a message to a new person, add them to Other Contacts so that I can auto-complete to them next time."
I have cleared the cache from the Gmail app and the Contacts App to no avail

It seems what I am missing is a setting that says to check the "Other Contacts" group when auto-completing email addresses, any idea where this may be!?

Thanks for your help

zapdogster

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Same issue with Gmail 8.3.25.1921... (Apr 10 2018) on my S5 Neo with 7.0.1. Started to happen some time this past week or so - might be after their last update.

Trying unsyncing and syncing, cache and data delete, etc. Autocomplete works fine on a web browser.

No joy. :(
gny

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze