The Verizon phone seems to be locked because when I insert the sim card it does not connect. . . How would I unlock the Verizon phone so that I can use the lifeline sim card?
    02-19-2018 10:28 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Is it a prepaid or postpaid Verizon phone? Current Verizon phones on a postpaid account come carrier unlocked (at least, until this spring: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/12/1...-change-policy). Which network is the new SIM card from? Verizon phones aren't always compatible with other networks.
    02-19-2018 10:32 AM
    Lifeline uses Virgin USA, which is an MVNO using Sprint, so it's possible that the network only accepts Sprint phones. (Thanks for the link. I was wondering when they'd start noticing the shrinkage. They've consistently been the only carrier that's had live, activated phones on display, and allowed prospective customers to make unlimited [well, virtually] calls from the store.)

To the original poster - contact Lifeline for help. You're using one mobile virtual network operator (Assurance) to access another mobile virtual network operator (Virgin USA) to connect to a carrier's (Sprint) towers. The problem could be anywhere among the 3 of them. (Locking a cellphone means that the phone won't accept the SIM card - it will insist on an unlock code before you can go further. Sprint and Verizon haven't had locked phones since before smart phones. They just don't allow phones that aren't theirs to connect to their networks.)
    02-19-2018 12:47 PM
    Depending on the device - it may not have the radios needed to support the network you're trying to connect to (even though it's considered "unlocked"). Until the last couple years, Verizon-branded phones carried a different SKU or model number and didn't have all the same radios as other devices.
    02-19-2018 01:10 PM