Which new upcoming phone to get for longevity?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am loooong overdue for new phone. I want to get the latest and greatest and looking ahead it seems the next few releases are S9, Nokia, Sony. Is S9 the clear winner? I am looking to use my next phone for a long time (my current is Motorola Razr Maxx).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The S9 will have, at best, 2 years of monthly patching and OS-level updates (thinking security here), the others are probably similar. Google's Pixel phones will still go 6+ months beyond that as the most recent devices are getting a full 3 years of updates from when they first went on sale.

I consider security patching part of longevity, the current Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL will be your best option in that regard.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I see... I looked at the tech specs it seems S9 has better hardware than pixel 2 and more RAM. Also, has Pixel 2's screen problem been completely fixed? I think it was on the XL models right?

And I think GS has slightly better resale value as well right? At least i still see S6/7s selling for few hundred in some stores..

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about thew XL, but I have a Pixel 2 and no screen problems.

And it gets updates for 3 years, so it's good for at least 4. As for RAM, they both have 4GB. (And, try as I might, I can't get Android to bog down due to lack of RAM on this thing.)

(I only didn't get the XL because I'm tired of huge phones.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34