How can I change default appilcations for ringtone settings?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I wanted to get a custom ringtone for my Note 4 , and I bought a song on Google play I wanted to add. It's the theme song from Escape from New York.

I went into my phone's settings because all the ringtone apps couldn't see the song. Google apparently has some protections on their songs.

Anyway, I selected sone Samsung app as the default, and now I can't change it. I don't know where the setting is, I spent about a half hour looking in various settings to no avail.

I want to try Dropbox or another place to look, but the default is selected and it's not listed with the other defaults.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, go to Settings, to Applications, to that Samsung app, scroll down and tap "Clear Defaults". Then it will no longer be the default. (If you can't find it, install Default App Manager - it will lead you to the same place, but it will show you the default app for music or whatever you made that app the default for.

Then install Ringtone Maker. I find it's about as close to Audacity as it gets on Android. As long as the ringtone you want is an .mp3 file (I think .ogg files work as well), you can pick a portion of it, shorten it, make it louder or softer, etc.

Then add the music file to the Ringtones folder. If you can't find it, just create one, even on your external SD card, if you have one. As long as the folder name is Ringtones (upper case R counts), it will be picked up by Media Scan as a ringtone. Restart the phone (or run media.Re.Scan) and you'll see it in your list of ringtones.

Unless ...

The song is in protected format (and most songs you buy are). Then all you can do is listen to it. (If you can find it online in unprotected format you can download it, edit it and use it as a ringtone. I've seen at least a doxen sites with one form or another of it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol