S8 turned off while charging and wouldn't turn on

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Galaxy S8 turned off on its own overnight while charging. I was using the original charging base and cable that came with the phone in the box. When I woke up (to not my alarm since the phone wasn't on), the phone wouldn't respond and the green led light indicating it was charged was on.

I disconnected it from the charger and, weirdly, the led light remained on. I tried pressing the power button a few times and pressing towards the bottom of the screen that would usually wake it up and nothing. No haptic feedback. Nothing. The led light remained on.

I then plugged it into my laptop to see if I could get a response that way or at least see if I could back up my files and still nothing. I disconnected it. The led light was still on.

In desperation, I started pressing buttons and remembered seeing before that I could start it in safe mode by pressing the power and volume down and FINALLY it turned on. I didn't have to hold them down for very long either. The led light turned off as soon as it started booting. I didn't continue through with rebooting in safe mode just to see what would happen.

It booted up fine and is acting completely normally now.

My concern now is what made it shut down and not turn on in the first place? Because it wasn't a big deal that I missed my alarm this morning, but it will be in the future. And why wouldn't it respond? Honestly, the weirdest part of it all was that the led light stayed on. I'm just trying to avert the problem in the future.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Since you have booted into the device, I would suggest backing up everything, shutdown and try to start the phone normally. When you are back up and running, see if you can trace the battery drain. It may have been a rogue app that causing it, draining your battery faster than the charger was charging the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay