Pixel C touch screen unresponsive after 8.1 update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Updated to 8.1 and found my touch screen randomly stops working. I factory reset my tablet, no luck. Found it always fails when connected to the magnetic keyboard so tried repairing the devices. No luck. Turned off bluetooth and just used the keyboard as a stand, no luck. I'm typing on the touchscreen now, not connected to the keyboard and it only froze once. To unfreeze, I have had to toggle the power button over and over until I can swipe my lock screen. So annoying cause I don't want to use the onboard screen and I want to be able to type and stream without needing the onscreen keyboard. Anyone have any solutions or experience similar after the 8.1 update? I had 0 problems prior

russellwcarey

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
I just wanted to second your issue. I updated to 8.1 this past Wednesday, and that evening it acted strange with the touchscreen, but by Thursday the touchscreen is completely unresponsive. I can get my keyboard and tab keys to move the cursor around and select apps, settings, etc. I was lucky to be able to do a backup of my important data using that method (Hint: Spacebar to unlock, Search+N to pull down push notification bar and then the Tab button or Left/Right, Up/Down arrow keys in most apps and on settings screens).

I found an XDA Forum thread that had no less than 10 people with similar issues to yours, but I have since lost track of it. It was either Pixel C (tablet) users, or just Pixel, XL/Pixel 2, XL users with similar problems. It would help provide some ammunition against a customer service rep since my Pixel C is outside of the manufacturers warranty. I would highly recommend against updating to 8, 8.1 updates as it seems that Google just isn't getting these updates right. Touchscreen issues galore. This is a pretty big deal, and their quality assurance teams deserve a swift kick in the butt for releasing this POS update.

After I find that XDA Forum, I'll be getting in touch with Google's support team. I'll re-post as things develop.

zipobibrok

Feb 6, 2022
Visit site
I just wanted to second your issue. I updated to 8.1 this past Wednesday, and that evening it acted strange with the touchscreen, but by Thursday the touchscreen is completely unresponsive. I can get my keyboard and tab keys to move the cursor around and select apps, settings, etc. I was lucky to be able to do a backup of my important data using that method (Hint: Spacebar to unlock, Search+N to pull down push notification bar and then the Tab button or Left/Right, Up/Down arrow keys in most apps and on settings screens).

After I find that XDA Forum, I'll be getting in touch with Google's support team. I'll re-post as things develop.

Hi russellwcarey,

As I have the exact same problem, did you by any chance find a solution for this problem which renders our Pixel Cs uselss? ;-)

Thanks!!