I have purchased a new "Charge and Sync Cable - Micro USB". How can I objectively test whether it performs better than the original one supplied with the S3?
    Tks.
    02-24-2018 06:24 PM
    Download a large file, time it.
    Delete, change cable. Repeat. Basic but should work...
    02-24-2018 06:44 PM
    In my experience, a cable is a cable is a cable. With the exception of a cheap no name dollar store cable, every one I used was comparable to the OEM cable in terms of charging speed and data transfer.

A cable with larger wires would theoretically charge faster because it has lower resistance, but that's not the deciding factor for charging (and data transfer, for that matter). If a phone and charger is designed to draw 2A of current, then a cable capable of 3A of current is still only going to use 2A.
    Tim1954 likes this.
    02-24-2018 07:06 PM
    Even with cheap dollar store cables, I've never had any problem charging at 1200mA. Data transfer speed? The cable only comes into play at multi-gigabit speeds, and you're not going to get that with any user equipment available today, so any cable will work as well as any other cable, as long as they're both working and they both have the correct connector on each end and they're connected to it properly. A $1 cable and a $50 cable of the same length are usually different - the more expensive one is better-built, so it will last through more misuse.

As Mooncat said, a thin cable may have more loss than a thinner one (it depends on the actual numbers - dropping 0.01 Volts in the cable isn't going to affect the charging time enough for a stopwatch to detect the difference), but unless we're talking about hair-thin wires and a very long cable (10 feet or more) it's not going to affect the data speed. (The reductio ad absurdum is the data cable at the Hong Kong Space Museum planetarium - 406 feet of plain old ribbon cable wrapped around noisy power wires in a cable trough. That should prevent any data from getting through, right? Wrong - it works just fine.)

Don't overspend on cables for your phone. There are plenty of good 3 foot cables on eBay for under $2. (The only problem is shipping. Getting a cheap cable from Amazon will probably cost $5 in shipping, getting it from China will take weeks, buying it from a local electronics store will cost quite a bit more. But dollar store and drugstore cables at $1 or $2 are fine.)
    02-25-2018 01:18 PM