SD card not being detected by any device anymore

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Today I tried sending someone an image on WhatsApp and every time I clicked the send button it said "Could not load photo" so I rebooted my phone.
After I did, a notification saying "Damaged SD card please reformat" appeared. I didn't want to lose any data so I turned off my phone, took out the SD card and put in my PC so I could backup and format.
But when I tried to, my PC didn't detect the SD card.
When I put it back in my phone, the "Damaged SD card" notification didn't show up again but now my SD card is undetected in the file manager. I've tried data recovery programs but none detect it.
Please help

HelixFossil01

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
I had a similar problem with a 128 gb Sandisk SD card and a 64gb PNY. They both kept reading "damaged SD card" or would keep unmounting in a cycle every time I reset my phone.

My solution may not have the same results with you, but here we go:

1. Try mounting them on other devices: older phone models, pc, ect. If one of these devices reads it, I recommend moving all your valuable data over to a new SD. Once currupted, there's a high chance it'll happen again, even if you end up formatting it and re-downloading the data.

2. Remove your SD card, while your phone is off, re-insert it and turn your phone back on. Wait for homescreen and apps to boot and for your device to read your SD (go to storage and check from there). If the same thing happens, try it again (turn your phone off, remove sd, re-insert, turn on ect). It worked with my 64gb SD around the 6th time of doing it.

3.If your phone reads your SD well, but you cant find the data in your file manager, try downloading another one and see if it appears there.

I don't own a PC, so I can't help you there, sorry.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you can get the PC to recognize the SD card (it doesn't have to be able to read it), use PhotoRec to recover what's on it (instructions at PhotoRec Step By Step). If the PC doesn't recognize that an SD card is inserted, the card is most likely shot, and there's nothing on it. If the phone can recognize it enough to ask you to reformat it, try, but I doubt it will work if the PC doesn't recognize it.

And unless it's a SanDisk card, you probably can't get it replaced very easily.