I wanted an update but this is horrendous! Then I fnd out I only get 2 updates for the life of my phone(y).
    02-27-2018 07:56 PM
    What device?

The reason some devices don't get more than 2 updates is that the chip manufacturer (typically Qualcomm in the US) chooses to no longer provide support for older chips. This leaves the device manufactures out in the cold as far as updating the device. Most manufacturers will do platform (OS) updates for around 2 years after device release.

You're lucky you got 2 updates, most budget and no-name brand devices hardly get ANY updates, including some of the lower-end devices in Samsung's line-up.

Google has announced OS updates on Pixels for 3 years, those are the devices to get if you want on-time and longer-term updates.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    02-27-2018 08:51 PM
    The other problem is that as chip manufacturers add functions to the chip set, many of the new features in the newer versions of Android take advantage of the additions to the chip set, and an older phone just doesn't have those functions, so either you'd get an update that wouldn't perform some of the functions you want the update for, or you'd get an update that would slow the phone down a lot (or take up a lot of space on what used to be a phone with a lot of storage - but isn't now.)

Most phones don't get updates. The better ones get one update. Flagship phones (the top of the line) get 2 updates. (Even iPhones only get 2 updates normally.) Only Google itself gives 3 updates. Then that's it. 4 years and you buy another phone, even if the old one is still working fine.)
    02-28-2018 02:19 PM