Outlook for Android - Email attachments of the same filename are not opening correctly

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Everyday I receive 3 emails from different email addresses with different attachments however with the same filenames. Two days ago when I opened the email attachments using Outlook for Android all three attachments were the same. The kb of the attachments indicate they are different sizes but when opening them from any application viewer they are identical. It appears that if I clear cache in Outlook and forward the emails back to me whichever attachment that is opened first will be the one that opens on all emails. Very frustrating!

Things I've done to so far:

1. Clear cache

2. Delete the email account from Outlook and recreate it

3. Change viewer types

4. Force stop Outlook

No new apps have been installed lately that should interfere with the way Outlook should be opening file attachments. This only happens with file attachments of the same filename. I usually use Android HTML viewer to open these text type file attachments which has always worked fine.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated before I delete Outlook app from my Motorola G5+.

ffdsfadasfdafasdf

May 31, 2018
Visit site
Re: Outlook for Android - Email attachsments of the same filename are not opening correctly

I am having the same issue. When a new version of a file with the same name is sent to me and I open it, it opens the cached older version instead. Would love to know if anyone has a solution?

Using Outlook and Excel for android, .xlsx documents

ffdsfadasfdafasdf

May 31, 2018
Visit site
For me the issue appears when using an IMAP server. But I doubt the server is the issue here, it definitely seems to be Microsoft's apps defaulting to using a cached version of a file where possible.

Edit: Just tested clearing the cache on Excel and reopening, still the same issue. Clearing the cache on outlook and reopening, it opens the new version. Then trying to open a different version opens the previously opened one again instead. So Outlook's cache seems to be the problem. I'm going to try switching to a different mail client.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried just using a file manager and opening the file you want to open, rather than trying to open it in an email app? Many email apps have strange quirks. (Unfortunately, anyone can make up [I won't dignify the process by saying "develop"] an Android app and, unless it's a national security risk, no one is going to remove it from the Play store.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital