I am super confused between Google Pixel 2 XL and Samsung S9. The lack of software updates and bixby is what is holding me back from S9 and towards Google Pixel 2 XL. But on the other hand the lack of headphone jack and lack of features is whats driving me towards S9. There are other things but I would like to hear your opinions about this. And does anyone know how long does Samsung support software updates for the S9?
    02-28-2018 06:38 PM
    It might also depend on which carrier S9 you get....
    02-28-2018 06:45 PM
    Pixel 2 XL will get updates (major OS and monthly security) until around Oct. 2020 (3 years from original on-sale). If recent trends continue, the S9/S9+ will get updates until around March 2020 (2 years from on-sale) if the owners are lucky.

We're having a discussion about updates here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ike-apple.html
    02-28-2018 07:31 PM
    Would help to know where you are in the world too. And if you're getting the S9 unlocked.

The Pixel is usually not a bad choice. In some Asian countries it is (lack of available Google Services due to country restrictions and lack of local aftermarket support), but in the Western world its a good choice.

Another thing to consider is how important is the headphone jack to you.
    02-28-2018 07:37 PM
    I'm doing a similar debate myself. I've had a few Samsung phones over the years and while updates haven't always been often they are generally pretty stable. Not always, but generally. No, you aren't on the bleeding edge and there's some bloatware but you are generally running a stable build. That doesn't always happen with the pixels, Google still breaks stuff occasionally.

I also switched carriers about six months ago and notice the carrier can make a difference on updates as well as my old carrier was not as frequent.
    02-28-2018 07:42 PM
    That's one of the big differences between Samsung and Google - Google releases updates on the 5th of the month, more often if needed. Samsung may hold onto a few updates so they only have to reprogram them a few times a year. (And Google officially allows you to reflash the ROM, Samsung doesn't.)
    02-28-2018 08:41 PM
    That's one of the big differences between Samsung and Google - Google releases updates on the 5th of the month, more often if needed. Samsung may hold onto a few updates so they only have to reprogram them a few times a year. (And Google officially allows you to reflash the ROM, Samsung doesn't.)
    Yeah, and I want to have a pixel but, I don't want to spend the money on a 2XL, and the smaller P2 is to expensive for those huge bezels and small screen. Plus, the carrier just makes it so easy to get a new Samsung lol. It's tough. That said, I have no interest in rooting and flashing roms anymore. I just don't have time for it and something was always broken.
    02-28-2018 10:55 PM