Transfer a .jpg from Downloads to Gallery

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've read all the other questions like this and they don't work (options not present on my phone, etc.)
I downloaded a .jpg from my email (Yahoo app) and it appears in my downloads folder. It does NOT appear in Gallery, and I can find no way to move it there.
I want to share it on Facebook but I can't change where Facebook looks for photos.
It is really frustrating that this is so hard to do.
Any suggestions for moving the file?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What phone are you using?

Actually there is no option to move the file because gallery is not a storage space. The gallery app should be looking at your entire storage. For example, on my S7 Edge, all pictures in the downloads folder appear in an album called downloads without doing anything. It just appears there. And this has been the same in Android for the past 9 years. Download an image, it goes to the download folder, and poof, a downloads album appears.

Of course I have only used flagship Samsung phones and the occasional mid range Samsung/ASUS/Lenovo for work. And they all worked the same.

The only way I can see your phone behaves differently is it's a different brand and uses a different gallery app.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Apps don't search the phone for media files (like pictures), Media Scan does that as part of the phone's startup process (or you can force it with an app like media.Re.Scan). It also triggers when you record a video or sound file or when you take a picture.

But downloading doesn't trigger a rescan. So if you don't want to install media.Re.Scan, restart the phone after downloading a media file.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes