Hello,

I've read other forum posts about similar issues, but none that directly addressed my own.

When I open a voicemail in order to listen to it, my phone display shuts off, and my ability to interact is terminated. I can only hope to press the power button which will, apparently at it's own discretion, bring the display back on, but only to the password screen and locked up.

I'm confused because I can think of no code that would initiate a shutdown of visual display just because voicemail was accessed.

Some responses I have seen speak of a blocked sensor, but that doesn't make any sense because who would code an interface to shutdown based on some random event like whether or not a sensor is able to measure something unrelated? Though I do have a D-brand skin that appear to not be blocking it.

Other solutions have said to check setting, and while I appreciate the response, it does not inform the solution, like suggesting to a starving person to go to the midwest.

So is there a SPECIFIC setting that someone has encountered within the pixel 2 settings interface that is causing this event?

Thank you!
    ~JC
    03-03-2018 01:56 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The most likely issue is that the proximity sensor is either blocked or malfunctioning. When you check your voicemail, you are making a call -- and when you make a call, the proximity sensor is designed to detect when you hold the phone up to your ear and turn off the screen when this happens. This prevents your ear or face from making inadvertent screen touches while you're on the call.

If the sensor (which is right near the front-facing camera) is blocked by a screen protector (or perhaps if the glass overlying the sensor is dirty), then the sensor might inappropriately activate as soon as you make the call to check your voicemail, because it thinks it's up against your ear. This would cause the screen to go blank immediately.

Some phones do have a setting that allows you to turn off the proximity sensor, but this is not a common setting -- we'd need to know which phone you have to figure out if that's an option for you.
    03-03-2018 09:09 PM