Send phone off for repairs or no?

jackjoe1234

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm avoiding sending my Samsung Note 4 off for repairs if I can, as it makes it very inconvenient for me.

Yesterday I sometimes received "MMC_Read Failed", after restarting the phone. Since then, I've backed up my phone (External and Google Photos), and restored everything. I haven't received the message again since.

However, the phone does lag a bit. I'm not sure if it's lagging because of the error before, or if it's because the phone is nearly full (700MB free on phone, and 4gb on 64gb media card).

Sometimes if I turn it off, it doesn't charge, unless I battery pull. However, that could also be because I'm not using an official Samsung Wire (the charger is official).

Shall I continue to use it for a few days, with the correct wire, and see if anything changes? I could also probably delete stuff off my phone throughout my days, as some pics/videos are really old (going back to 2007).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Is it WORTH repairing? I can't imagine it's going to be cheap, and you're still left with a device that is "cramped" for internal storage and is insecure (did it ever receive a patch for KRACK?).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. The wire you use to charge it has nothing to do with an eMMC failure - that's internal storage failure. If it happens again, you'll need a new motherboard, and a gently used Note 4 on swappa.com would probably be about the same price (and not leave you with no phone until it arrived).

2. How full the phone is also has nothing to do with an eMMC failure.

3. However, sometimes the firmware will glitch, fail to read some storage address, and report it as an eMMC failure. (Because it is - even if it's because the firmware was trying to read something out at 128GB - the eMMC has no storage there.) If you never get another eMMC failure, forget it. If you start getting it, back up everything (see Backing up an Android Device), then reflash the ROM (see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN). It's really easy to reflash a Samsung - about the only problem is dying of boredom, so have something else to do for 15 minutes or so, once you start the program running. (Then, once the phone is working again, restore everything you backed up.)

4. The "failure to charge every time" problem could be due to a battery going bad. It's over 3 years old, so it may be time for a new one. You can get them for under $10 on Amazon.

Hawk Conqui

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Personally, at this point I'd probably recommend purchasing a new phone, the cost could be relatively the same depending on the phone you buy, and you would then get a new phone with a smaller chance of breaking again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance