So I have an s7 (regular one not the edge or active) and I have 95% of my internal memory full and roughly 85gb of my 124gb SD card full. I am trying first to just move some of the files from the internal memory to the SD card, and beyond that I am trying to move all photos and videos to my computer so I can get ready to eventually upgrade to a new phone without losing all of my media (basically everything from the first day that my son was born to his 2nd birthday.)

When I try to move the files using the samsung "my files" app I get a generic "Failed to move files" and when I try to make a new folder to try putting them into I get "Failed to Create Folder".

When I try to move the files from my phone to my computer the DCIM folder does not show up even after giving my phone and computer permission to sync via the pop up notification when I plug the phone in. My computer reads that it sees 85gb in the external SD card and that it sees 30gb in the internal memory. But when I click around, almost all of the folders that lie within each have 0mb of data in them.

When using the search function on my computer I can locate the DCIM file with all the media in but when I try to copy and paste or move the files, after about 1 hour of trying the computer always says that an unexpected error occurred and it cancels out of the upload and only some of the photos and videos make it over.

When taking the SD card and putting it directly into my computer, same thing.

I cannot afford to let any of these photos and videos go. Suggestions or walk-throughs to get all of this data moved? I want all of it to be in one massive file that I can make several copies of to avoid losing anything ever.
    03-04-2018 07:52 PM
    My computer reads that it sees 85gb in the external SD card and that it sees 30gb in the internal memory. But when I click around, almost all of the folders that lie within each have 0mb of data in them.
    Because most of what's in them is hidden (system files).

When using the search function on my computer I can locate the DCIM file with all the media in but when I try to copy and paste or move the files, after about 1 hour of trying the computer always says that an unexpected error occurred and it cancels out of the upload and only some of the photos and videos make it over.
    That's typical of USB, when you use it for a massive file transfer. Try copying one folder worth of files at a time (and, if you want to maintain the folder structure, create a DCIM folder on the computer, then folders inside that one, so you have the same structure on the computer that you do on the phone).

When taking the SD card and putting it directly into my computer, same thing.
    Same problem - the card is connected to the computer via an internal (or external, if you're using an adapter) USB connection. They're not designed to transfer tens of GB at once.

I cannot afford to let any of these photos and videos go. Suggestions or walk-throughs to get all of this data moved? I want all of it to be in one massive file that I can make several copies of to avoid losing anything ever.
    As I said, one DCIM folder. Then in that, a Camera folder. (And so on.) Copy the DCIM folder to a huge cloud account, or to another computer, and all the folders and files in it get transferred. (DCIM stands for Digital Camera IMages.) (It's all in one massive folder, not in one massive file. Folders are structurally different than files, just like Manila folders are different than the papers inside them (which is where the idea of naming directories "folders" comes from - that, and the icon used for them is a folder).
    03-05-2018 05:33 PM