It is time to change screen material to allow for more durability and flexibility. Samsung has been working on this but I hope to see this soon in a product. Carbon fibre body, thin rubber and titanium frame. Hyper polished Wakandan vibranium micro-dots for a strong flexible screen!
    anon(9485947) and Tim1954 like this.
    03-06-2018 01:14 AM
    1) Those materials that you mention are very expensive and would probably bring up flagship prices up to $2000 or even higher. (I'd still gladly pay that much if it meant the phone would be indestructible).
    2) Manufacturers want you to pay for either a screen repair (which can cost as much as an upper-mid-range phone) or to spend your life savings on a new one in the event you broke your screen.
    03-06-2018 01:32 AM
    Technically most phones haven't used regular glass in years. Some have used sapphire, some have used plastic, none of it's industructable.
    anon(9485947) likes this.
    03-06-2018 02:36 AM
    Well... Good shout on the use of Vibranium (and other fictional materials you can purchase for $2000 ) There's an amazing amount of work being done with glassin material science...

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...rsity-of-tokyo caught the headlines last year

So until we have holographic displays.. or wireless neural implants , we're stuck with clever things we can do with glass (in its more exotic states)

( https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5...by-your-brain/ )
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-06-2018 01:10 PM
    We'll have to wait until Scotty invents transparent aluminum. Or someone comes out with cheap artificial diamond material that can be made into a flat sheet (and is shockproof - a diamond can be cracked by hitting it in just the right spot with a hard piece of wood).

As psionandy said, a holographic display would be best (and it's not sci-fi - it's doable with off-the-shelf parts now). You can drop that "display" on a bed of diamonds and it wouldn't be the least bit harmed.

The case? Motorola made one about 15 years ago for Nextel that you could throw against a concrete floor with all your might - and after you found the battery and cover, and replaced them, the phone worked fine. Waterproof (not resistant - proof) up to a few feet (I forget the depth) - salt water too. Dust and sand proof. Not much of a phone, and you couldn't drive over it with a tank (may with a small car, though). (I watched a streetlight repairman drop one from a bucket that was at streetlight level onto a wet street. I tossed it back to him. He thanked me. No big deal - of course the phone worked, he didn't even bother checking it.)

But a smartphone with a physical screen that's both scratchproof and breakproof? I only have one house to mortgage

(If they made the screen user-replaceable, the prices would come down - and most screens aren't that expensive anyway - look on eBay. But as long as the phone has to "go in" for a new screen, replacement is going to cost more for a flagship than a while midline phone costs.)
    03-06-2018 01:43 PM
    But the screen isn't, by any means, the only thing that gets damaged when you drop a phone. Any of you who might have owned an HTC HD2 may remeber the issue of loose solder pads connecting the SoC to the board. This caused the phone to crash and reboot every time it got to 47 degrees Celsius! Back in the day, my father had an HTC 7 Trophy T8686 which has the same SoC as the HD2. Two years after he gave it to my mother, disaster struck. While my brother was playing behind my grandma's house, my father put it on some high stairs thinking it was safer there than in my mom's pocket... The cat I had at the time walked up to the phone and WHACKED it with its paw... The phone, which had a case on it, fell from 2 meters height and the screen glass terribly cracked. Not only that, but the display had some barely visible cracking. Everything seemed well and good after a 50 Euro cheapie screen glass repair, until... Some time after I inherited the phone, lo and behold, the phone would overheat from extended video recording or web browsing! So yes, the solder joints got loose... Arrrghh! Even though it had a new battery, those reboots would almost entirely drain it in most cases. I ended up getting my first Android phone less then a year after I got that HTC. Long story short, companies should (after fixing screen durability) also work on internal hardware durability in order to make a truly indestructible device.
    03-07-2018 01:07 AM
    Nokia and Samsung previously built phones that could survive being run over by a car. Granted they're dumbphones.
    03-07-2018 01:17 AM
    We'll have to wait until Scotty invents transparent aluminum.
    I think Star Trek 4, has already happened...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

belodion and Tim1954 like this.
    03-28-2018 09:33 AM
    I have given up on those delicate fragile phones, I got a Cat phone now. I need a belt lest it pulls my pants down, it still has Marshmallow and is not fast , but I can hammer nails with it and dump it in five metres of water.. The heat sensor cam is amusing too...
    03-28-2018 07:54 PM