I plugged a usb charger into my android phone and a computer at Univeristy. The phone kept asking for MPT access which I denied. It kept flicking from charging to transferring files. No files were physically transferred to my knowledge as I connected the phone purely to charge it. I have some private pictures from my laser hair removal journey that I had deleted from my phone. Is it possible that when I connected the phone to the PC that thumbnails/cache could have been automatically saved/transferred to the computer. Can my private images be recovered from this computer or am I worrying about nothing? What steps should I take?
    Please reply. I am very worried about this.
    03-10-2018 12:15 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! No, those photos wouldn't have been transferred automatically.
    Anoymousgirl likes this.
    03-10-2018 02:17 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! No, those photos wouldn't have been transferred automatically.
    Thank you for your reply. The IT team got back to me and they confirmed that nothing had been stored.

There is a possibility that I may have plugged my usb charger at work also. I have never allowed MTP access. Can files be transferred if you continually reject MTP access? The phone had transferring files selected but was asking for MTP access which I denied. Can files be transferred without my knowledge? (The files that concerned me the most had been deleted at the time of charging. I don't know if that makes a difference)

Apologies for repeating the question. Thank you.
    03-17-2018 10:01 AM
    No, files won't be transferred if you deny access. They won't even be transferred if you allow access - unless you manually transfer them.
    Anoymousgirl likes this.
    03-17-2018 01:51 PM
    In order for a computer to gain access to the phone's storage, the phone has to be on, the screen unlocked, and MTP selected. Since the default connection mode is Charge Only, the computer can't even access the phone's storage after simply connecting via USB.
    Anoymousgirl likes this.
    03-17-2018 01:52 PM
    In order for a computer to gain access to the phone's storage, the phone has to be on, the screen unlocked, and MTP selected. Since the default connection mode is Charge Only, the computer can't even access the phone's storage after simply connecting via USB.
    I had selected the charging only option but it kept switching to transferring files option. Every time it switched it asked for MTP access which I denied. Even if storage was accessed, it wouldn't have transferred anything without my knowledge right?
    03-17-2018 03:48 PM
    Ahh I see. So unless I physically transferred something myself nothing could have been transferred? Thank you for your response.
    03-17-2018 03:50 PM
    I had selected the charging only option but it kept switching to transferring files option. Every time it switched it asked for MTP access which I denied. Even if storage was accessed, it wouldn't have transferred anything without my knowledge right?
    It wasn't actually switching -- it was only giving you the option. This should only appear if you tap the USB notification in the notification panel. If it keeps popping up, that might be a bug, or the USB connection might be loose (i.e., the connection might keep dropping and then establishing again, thus bringing up this prompt).
    Anoymousgirl likes this.
    03-17-2018 05:03 PM
    No, files won't be transferred if you deny access. They won't even be transferred ir you allow access - unless you manually transfer them.
    So unless I physically transferred something myself nothing could have been transferred? Thank you for your response.
    03-18-2018 06:00 AM
    It wasn't actually switching -- it was only giving you the option. This should only appear if you tap the USB notification in the notification panel. If it keeps popping up, that might be a bug, or the USB connection might be loose (i.e., the connection might keep dropping and then establishing again, thus bringing up this prompt).
    Okay thank you. I have spoken to the IT and they have reassured me that nothing occurred. Could I ask another question?

When you install an app and give them permissions, could they steal photos from your gallery. I always install apps from playstore only and make sure they have good ratings. I also check the comments. The only issue is that most apps ask for photo permissions and storage even games that have been installed 1 million times. What is the likelihood of these apps taking my pictures? I deleted the pictures within seconds of taking them. I'm sorry but this is really stressing me out. I could list the apps I have installed? Thank you.
    04-08-2018 01:54 PM
    If they have access to your pictures, they also have to have access to the internet. If they don't, they can accumulate all the pictures they like, but they all stay on your phone. (Many apps and games require access to photos to install pictures to the phone. If the pictures are going to be recognized my Media Scan without your having to restart the phone, the app needs media access to force a rescan.)
    04-08-2018 02:49 PM
    If they have access to your pictures, they also have to have access to the internet. If they don't, they can accumulate all the pictures they like, but they all stay on your phone. (Many apps and games require access to photos to install pictures to the phone. If the pictures are going to be recognized my Media Scan without your having to restart the phone, the app needs media access to force a rescan.)

Thank you for the reply.
    So are you saying that if an app asks for both wifi and photo permissions then there is a risk? Are you saying that they may have uploaded them onto the internet.

Am I worrying about nothing or do you think it's likely that an app may have kept these images if they had access through permissions.
    04-08-2018 03:26 PM
    Are apps allowed to share images online through this method? What is the likliehood of this happening? I'm not very good with technology so would just like to know if I have a real reason to worry or if I am stressing over nothing.
    04-08-2018 03:43 PM