I've have a galaxy s5 that I've had for a few years now.

I have always used an sd card in it. I had a 64GB card for a year or two, then upgraded to a 128GB card for a year or two. Both Kingston. The sd cards appear to be legitimate, as I can fill them to capacity with no problem.

For the last few weeks, I get messages about my sd card dismounting unexpectedly, and then the data on it becomes unavailable. It cycles through dismounting and mounting a few times, then finally gives up.

This seems to correlate to when the phone gets fairly warm after long periods of web browsing.

If I turn off the phone, pop out the battery, and let it cool off for 10 minutes, then put everything back together and start up the phone, the sd card becomes available again.

My phone has a otterbox case that I added when I first got the phone, then replaced a few months ago with the same otterbox case after showing signs of wear & tear. I don't know if that is contributing to the heat issue.

I'm not sure what else changed in the last few weeks for this to start happening.

I am running android 5.0. I've been warned against upgrading to 6.0 because of battery and performance issues.

I would prefer not upgrading to a newer phone since they seem to take away physical features that I need (sd card slot and removable battery)

So, any suggestions?
    03-10-2018 01:26 PM
    It sounds like a heat issue, affecting either the firmware or the SD slot. It has to go into a pretty good repair shop, so they can diagnose it properly. (If it's a bad chip on the motherboard causing the firmware to misbehave, that's an expensive repair [and probably not worth it - you can replace an S5 for under $100], but a cheap repair shop would probably start there.)
    03-10-2018 02:22 PM