Notification badges and unread messages count - MISSING

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi all,

I can't get badges on my icons in S9+. Not the dot, not the number, nothing. I have tested everything, switched on and off badges, dots... I have cleared the memory of "badge service" process, even cleared the cache... Still nothing. No single application shows badges (phone, messages, linkedin, mail... all are just clear icons on home screen).

I have not seen them since I have first set up the device 3 days ago...

Any ideas? Anybody has the same?

intljock

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
I am have the same issue. Spoke with Samsung Tech support (in India!) and they, or course, were not able to fix it. I am not getting notification badges for any of my apps (Facebook, Words with Friends, etc.). I've tried turning notifications back off and then on again, re-booting, change the battery app settings, etc. Nothing works. I switched from an S8+ using "Smart Switch" and am wondering if that had anything to do with it. If you or anyone else has a solution, I thank you in advance for your advice.

tom ek

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
No, this is not because of Smart Switch... I have not used Smart Switch and have the same issue. I did everything, cleared BadgeProvider, used all possible switches. Nothing works. Samsung also have not helped (at least so far), but I have reported a bug...

tom ek

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

I can't get badges on my icons in S9+. Not the dot, not the number, nothing. I have tested everything, switched on and off badges, dots... I have cleared the memory of "badge service" process, even cleared the cache... Still nothing. No single application shows badges (phone, messages, linkedin, mail... all are just clear icons on home screen).

I have not seen them since I have first set up the device 3 days ago...

Any ideas? Anybody has the same?

PROBLEM SOLVED (at least mine)

Yes, this is the solution (slightly modified):

You need to go to:

Settings -> Apps -> ... (3 dots in upper right corner) -> Special access -> Notification access -> Samsung Experience Home -> and switch it ON (if of course was switched off for any reason)

For me it solved the problem :)

RoadRunnerAD

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
I have same problem on my s8. Everything has been adjusted and readjusted -- turned off and on -- and then screamed at top of my lungs! Ha! Samsung "technician" (yep probably from India) took control of my new s8 all morning yesterday because I had a problem with not being able to turn off the friggin annoying popup notification thingy for messages. He/she couldn't figure out a *#%*& thing! But after they disconnected control of my phone, the count badges quit working. I'm starting to hate Samsung since I bought this new phone. So....does anyone have another solution, because tom ek's solution was not for me? I already had that turned on. Please hurry, because I don't have much hair left to pull out. :(

RoadRunnerAD

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
BTW...I just installed Nova Launcher to try and fix the problem...but no go. I've selected the numeric notification badges and it still doesn't show. Do I have to somehow stop the stock settings? I don't know how to do this.

I'm new to this forum and not sure how to post here. If anyone has a suggestion, please be gentle and explain. Thanks! :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You posted fine.

For Nova, you need TeslaUnread for Nova Launcher. (And you may need the paid version of Nova - it's been too long for me to remember, I've been using Nova for years.)

If you've done all that, it's probably a Samsung problem. (Big surprise - Samsung has a problem. Whodda thunk?)

RoadRunnerAD

Mar 16, 2018
Visit site
@hallux No that was already checked. I have Nova Prime and TeslaUnread installed and working. I finally got a dot to show above the apps but no count number. Btw...I also got that irritating, mind-numbing HUGE popup of the messages to stop popping up. Don't ask me what all I did though...LOL. My eyes were blood shot when I finally got that fixed! I won't die if I don't have the number notification thingy, since I have the dot now, but it sure would be nice. ;)

Onj Wms

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
Tom ek's solution worked for me so far. Well, my Samsung experience was already on. I turned it off. Restarted the phone. Then turned it on and restarted the phone again. It didn't happen immediately but for the first time since I got the S9, I'm seeing a number next to my email. Thanks!

LISAF3R

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi, new here. Very first post 😊 I'm pretty sure this is related to this issue. But after looking for a reason....I hate that I can't change this. After swiping the notification away, the badge number will disappear. I hate this. I have to know how many unread emails and such I have, to deal with them later 😭 darn Samsung experience 9.0. This all went wonky after the update a few days ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180406-034327_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180406-034327_Settings.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 5

Gaetano De Luisi

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
I have the same issue on my brand new HTC U11 Life. HTC support this is because this model is a vanilla Android and does not have the badge notification functionality. I think the tech doesn't know what he is talking about because badge notifications are vanilla Android AFAIK. If they disabled them on purpose it's the last HTC phone I'm getting.

llowe23

Dec 10, 2018
Visit site
I have an S 8.

From previous comments, I went to the Samsung Experience button, and it was on.

Then I went to Notifications. Under that is App icon badges, and under that is "Show with badges." I chose that, and in another window, you get to show with or without number. I selected show with number and that fixed the problem.

What I do not know is how that got changed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel