Install s7 edge after factory reset with broken screen

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The bottom half of my screen was flickering mostly at low brightness, and when i started up apps or setting i got a black screen, the last solution for this in a thread was a factory reset, as soon as i had done the reset i kept having the problem and now i can't see anything when my phone boots up just flickering madness.
So now i cant even install application like vysor because i can't detect the phone from my pc.

Sem Koolen

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
I posted the thread just made an account to respond.
I'd like to clarify that the screen (the glass) itself is not actually broken, but it might aswell be for what i was trying to accomplish.
Luckily after an hour or so when i manually rebooted it again the screen was flickering a lot less and i was able to set up my phone again after the factory reset.

Props to jclovis31976 who posted the probable cause of this phenomenon on the fixit.com forum and dexine who posted a good temporary fix for the problem (wich im yet to try out myself because i don't have the phone with me at the moment) :

Dexine posted:
Finally got this fixed. it sounds like the reason for this is that since the latest update your phone cannot decide whether to use hardware or software back light settings. I managed to make the problem go away by doing this:

Go to settings >> system >> About device.

Find "Build number" and click 6 times fast on it.

You will then get the message saying: "You are now a developer"

Come back to Home Screen, and then go back to Settings >> system >> Now you will see the "Developer Options"

Now go to Developer options >> Drawing Section or Rendering Section >> Find "Turn off hardware overlays" or "disable hardware overlays" >> This will force the phone to always use GPU for screen adjustments. no more flickering.

jclovis31976 posted:
In my research thus far, the AMOLED screen technology is to blame. When the display circuits get old or damaged, they don't sustain current at low power settings. In LED screens, a back light controls brightness, but AMOLED screens send current to each pixel for brightness control. If the circuit is damaged, or any corrosion has built up inside, this could attenuate the current below the point required to sustain light flow. I see this problem with some LED and CFL lights on motion sensor switches. Just enough current goes through the motion sensor to keep it's circuits active, and that current causes a flicker in the light.

Link to the thread i quoted:
https://nl.ifixit.com/Answers/View/272594/Flickering+screen+on+low+back+light

Sem Koolen

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
So after testing some stuff out i got better results just putting my brightness halfway, it still flickers and now i'm definetly sure its a hardware issue.
For now i am able to use it with some effort of unlocking my screenlock multiple times untill the screen is lit up good and usable. But i'd have to get a new amoled screen wich i wont because i'm buying a new phone shortly, because i don't think it's worth replacing the amoled screen just to have it breakdown again in a few years

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63