I would like to use my Sprint Galaxy S5 with another carrier, but need to unlock it. Will rooting it allow me to unlock it?
    03-14-2018 01:07 AM
    No.

The best way to unlock a phone is to ask the carrier for an unlock code.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-14-2018 05:01 AM
    FYI...

The part of the firmware that controls carrier lock is on a separate chip from the one where the OS resides. Affecting one will never affect the other.

We see questions about Root and unlock SIM, Custom ROM and unlock SIM, Factory Reset and unlock SIM.

It's apples and oranges.

Flashing OS won't unlock/relock SIM, neither will Factory Reset or a whole host of other actions regarding the bootloader/OS of the device.

For anyone else with the question who may look in later...
    03-14-2018 06:59 AM
    It should also be noted that the GS5 from Sprint is likely to not work on another carrier. Looking at the full specs, I see different SKUs (models) for AT&T and T-Mobile, supporting different mobile radio frequencies. Sprint is (was?) a CDMA carrier, differing significantly from AT&T and T-Mobile technology.

Here is the USA model, for use on Sprint, Verizon, USCC. Note the different model numbers (varying by the letter at the end). https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...(usa)-6338.php

Here is the "global" listing with the T-Mobile and AT&T variants listed - https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php

The bottom line in all this? The carrier you could move it to with the best possibility of support is Verizon or USCC but you're only going to get 3G as each variant supports different 4G bands. It's not worth unlocking that device, IMO.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    03-14-2018 07:15 AM