Looks like Oreo is rolling out to the S8. I want to stay on 7.0. How can I prevent an OTA upgrade from being forced onto my phone?

I'm on Cricket and have an unrooted phone.

I'd be fine not getting any future security updates, etc. Would prefer to stay unrooted.
    03-16-2018 12:53 PM
    You have a few choices.

You can receive updates - that will include the update to 8.0, or you can prevent updates - that will include security updates.

You can root the phone and disable the update app, or you can remain unrooted and receive updates.

It's a "can't get there from here" situation. If you don't root the phone, you can say "later" to an update about 15 times - then it will update without asking. (And if you turn the phone off in the middle of an update, you run the risk of turning the phone into a paper weight.)

If you get the last 7.0 update, the next update will be to 8.0 - there won't be any future 7.0 security updates. You can roll your phone back to 7.0 without any updates (and lose all your changes since it came out of the box, so you'll have to back everything up), but it will start updating, probably one update a day, until it runs out of security updates, then update to 8.0.

(Oreo isn't bad - I just went from KitKat to Oreo in one step, and I'm still trying to find where things are in Settings - after a month. but Oreo runs smoothly.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-16-2018 05:09 PM