How can I get rid of Instant Apps constantly automatically downloading without my permission?

Jokr12

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Starting just yesterday, my phone started to run slower and I was experiencing major delay when restarting my phone(5-10 minutes). This morning, when I started my phone, applications had just started to stop working out of nowhere. I ran a deep scan with Malwarebytes but it found nothing. I looked through my list of apps on my Moto Droid Z and I found one suspicious app; Google Play services for Instant Apps. I had never downloaded this application and it was found to be downloaded the day I started experiencing problems. I deleted the app out of my settings and my phone seemed to be running fine. This was, until the app literally reinstalled itself from Google Play without my permission. It started to use my data and I've tried everything to get rid of it. I've found that instant apps is something created BY Google Play as a solution to something that was never a problem. Any ideas on how I can get rid of this deadly uninstall reinstall cycle of this seemingly malicious application? Thanks in advance.

Jokr12

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Are you sure that there could be another culprit? I did not find any roots or backdoors. I do not know about any other applications downloaded within the past 2 days other than Google Play manager for Instant Apps, which keeps on downloading without my permission. I have auto updates off and I have all permissions for the Play Store as well as the Play Store Manager turned off, so I really don't know what else there could be. There are so many files in file manager that there is such a high change that I would be deleting the wrong file. I know that some virus try to cover themselves up by changing their names to something less suspicious, like, for instance on a computer, naming the AdWare from Ashy.exe to JavaUpdateHandler.exe. All of my applications are freaking out and Chrome keeps on crashing. I don't want to turn off Instant Apps, but I want to totally wipe it off of my phone's data and storage. I have tried clearing the cache and force stopping, as well as uninstalling. It is not an application, which is why it takes me to a the front page of the Play Store when I am directed to its source. I'm stumped.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Did you turn it off from the pictured shots?
e689b8435c393753590d3fedab5eb1f5.jpg
097f061f8f1b305cd8a81520af11da15.jpg

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth - my Pixel 2 XL does not have an app named "Google Play Manager for Instant Apps". Can you find the Play Store listing for the app and link it here? It seems like this is being installed maliciously and is not from Google directly.

Jokr12

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
How much different is the settings for Google Pixel 2 XL from the Motorola Droid Z? This app is not in the Play Store, as every time I get redirected to the source, all it does is bring me to the front page of the Play Store; the popular games. There is also no similar app that can be downloaded from the play store like this. The icon looks like the regular icon for Google Play Store Manager except for the name. It looks like it would already come pre-downloaded with the phone.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I don't want to turn off Instant Apps, but I want to totally wipe it off of my phone's data and storage.

If you can't see the irony in your above statement, and don't want to follow my advice, then you are either trolling, or uninformed to such an extent that a forum post will not help you. Good luck.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@Jokr12 the settings are likely quite different as the Pixel 2 XL is on Oreo. In fact, my screen for enabling Instant Apps looks quite different from the one posted above but that may also be because I have 3 Google-hosted email accounts linked on my device.

The app or feature you speak of - Google Play Store Manager - does not sound like anything Google has out there right now. Can you post a screenshot of where you're seeing this to help me understand what you're seeing?

Jokr12

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I have turned off all of the running background applications as well as some suspicious apps with special permissions. My time + date was changed to August 4th and my time was changed to 4:36, but now that I disabled permissions and set my time back, my phone has been fine for hours.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Some of the apps were:

CQATest
Google Play Services(virus could have possibly embedded itself)
Setup Wizard(could be part of why the app kept on downloading)
Those are system apps and you shouldn't worry about them. CQATest is a Moto app for diagnosis and can be disabled without problem.
IMG_20180319_180909.jpgIMG_20180319_180844.jpg

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I would avoid disabling Google Play Services if you can, that's relatively important for quite a few functions of the OS.

I remind you - I asked for a screenshot of something showing this "Google Play Store Manager" app, you have not provided it. An app by that name is not usually found on Android devices and sounds like it could be the culprit.