Samsung Galaxy J7 V bought new from Verizon about 9 months ago. I've been trying to use a stylus since the day I got this phone. Some days it will work for about a minute but most days nothing I do will work.

I've tried the one my mother has used with her Core Prime for 3 years that cost $1, I tried the one that my sister paid a lot of money for and used it with her S6 and now her S7 and 1 from Walmart that cost about $5. None work consistently with my J7V.

All those were a very lightweight type of metal, I believe they are hollow, and have squishy rubber tips. All about the same length but different sizes around. Why don't they work for me?

I'm REALLY desperate now to use a stylus. I dislocated my shoulder and broke my arm 2 weeks ago. I have nerve damage in my hand it's very painful to use my fingertips now. I'm 56 years old, disabled and play lots of games on my phone. I need help.
    03-20-2018 11:04 PM
    I'm not familiar with that model. Did it come with a stylus?
    03-21-2018 09:04 AM
    It didn't come with a stylus. From what I can tell the J7 V Is Verizon's version of a very basic Galaxy S7. It's what I upgraded to when my 2 year contract was up on my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime. I think that was also a Verizon version of a different Galaxy phone. My mom still has her Core Prime and has used a cheap stylus since the first week. It didn't come with one either.

One thing I'm wondering is I never removed the clear screen protector that was on the J7 V when I got it at the Verizon store. Since a stylus will actually work about 5% of the time could that protector thing be to blame? I'd hate to peel it off if that's not the problem. I don't think it would stick back on.
    03-21-2018 11:13 PM
    Screen Protector is definitely your issue
    03-22-2018 03:41 AM
    Yup. Screen protectors interfere with the usual stylus. The only stylii I know that can work with protectors are active styii like an Apple Pen. These have a battery and uses a charge on the tip, and the S Pen. But a sufficiently thick screen protector will also cause problems for these. An generic active stylus would work for your phone.
    03-22-2018 03:44 AM
    The screen protector is a thin cheapo thing that was on the phone when they pulled it out of the box in the store. I was probably supposed to take it off and throw it away. So, I can have protector or stylus, not both.

Thanks for y'all's help!
    dov1978 likes this.
    03-22-2018 07:17 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a screen protector on? If so, try taking it off.
    03-25-2018 10:01 PM