Just got Android 8.0.0 - Custom contact message tones are GONE.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Just got the update yesterday. Now every text I get from different contacts is the same, which is NOT ideal. Never had this problem before and I don't want it now. Can only change contact ringtone, not message tone. What do I do now?! Why can't they leave the good stuff alone?!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems this feature was removed for Oreo (apparently by Google, not by Samsung as I've previously thought), many 3rd-party messaging apps allow you to adjust this on a conversation-by-conversation basis. There are quite a few recent threads posted on this very topic.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

keshav9

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Just got the update yesterday. Now every text I get from different contacts is the same, which is NOT ideal. Never had this problem before and I don't want it now. Can only change contact ringtone, not message tone. What do I do now?! Why can't they leave the good stuff alone?!

Search for "How to set custom SMS notification tone per contact" on Google and look for the related result with that title. You got everything on that page.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Search for "How to set custom SMS notification tone per contact" on Google and look for the related result with that title. You got everything on that page.

Samsung/Google/Oreo removed this feature. Unfortunately, the only options are to switch messaging apps (use Textra) or use some very old apps that allow you to do this. (These apps are very old or have annoying ads or have limitations for the free versions)