Galaxy S6 not charging after plug overheated

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Galaxy S6 and yesterday I was charging it in the car with a dual sided micro USB charger. When I touched it, the plug where it inserts into the phone was very hot and melted. The phone had turned itself off as it had gotten too hot. It now will not charge and the battery has completely died.

Is there any way to get the data off of it?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like a repair shop job.. If it's only the battery, they may be able to replace the molten socket and get it going again.
If the phone can't be turned on at all, you can't get the data off it...

Matt Loiselle

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
Ya know..im soo sick of the lack of servicibility of phones. And its intentionable. The charging current for rapid charge shouldnt go thru such small wires, and it gets smaller and smaller. A dusty intermittent micro usb(which is normal) caused your problem. Or a wiggly socket. Which is way too small for duty rated connection. Something that is made to be used 100s of times and is susceptible to way too many forms of abuse shouldnt be so small. And made out of crappy thin metal. And shouldnt the pins on something so vulnerable be anchored by thru-hole soldering? Not phones. The only real securment the charging jack has is a angel-hair circuit trace epoxied to a board(if youre lucky). And a tin shroud. With lousy silver solder. Theoretically, a wiggly plug on a fone is just as dangerous as a wiggly recepticle plug in a house.
But Samsung wouldnt do this? Right...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ya know..im soo sick of the lack of servicibility of phones. And its intentionable. The charging current for rapid charge shouldnt go thru such small wires, and it gets smaller and smaller. A dusty intermittent micro usb(which is normal) caused your problem. Or a wiggly socket. Which is way too small for duty rated connection. Something that is made to be used 100s of times and is susceptible to way too many forms of abuse shouldnt be so small. And made out of crappy thin metal. And shouldnt the pins on something so vulnerable be anchored by thru-hole soldering? Not phones. The only real securment the charging jack has is a angel-hair circuit trace epoxied to a board(if youre lucky). And a tin shroud. With lousy silver solder. Theoretically, a wiggly plug on a fone is just as dangerous as a wiggly recepticle plug in a house.

No... from a shock perspective not as dangerous as a wiggly house receptacle

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6 and yesterday I was charging it in the car with a dual sided micro USB charger. When I touched it, the plug where it inserts into the phone was very hot and melted. The phone had turned itself off as it had gotten too hot. It now will not charge and the battery has completely died.

Is there any way to get the data off of it?

Can you charge it wirelessly?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I've used wireless charging for years. Micro USB is a standard, and yes, if you force it in upside down it will break. Strong braided cables are available, but most people are too cheap to pay for quality, and suffer for it. There is also a magnet that stays in the micro socket, and the USB connection gently attaches and releases. Many solutions. And you can always get something that works with firewire, if it's a big problem. Apple makes it simple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX