• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I want to turn off tap to speak because I don't use it

MikeP_UK

Nov 24, 2018
Visit site
The suggestion from B Diddy is the exact opposite of what we want to do.

We want to turn off the feature that asks the user to speak a search option instead of displaying the keyboard. We want the keyboard back please. How do I get that back? (I'm new to Android and something appears to have turned the keyboard entry off, but I have no idea why of how not how to get it back.

I want to return to the keyboard input, not use speach. Your 'answer' above does not help as mine is already OFF. When I want to search on Chrome I want a keyboard but I cannot find out why that is not appearing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Settings > System > Language & keyboards > Virtual keyboard > Manage keyboards

Turn off Google voice typing. (And make sure you have at least one keyboard turned on.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: I can't turn off my tap to speak

Oh, I see. The problem is that your initial question was pretty vague -- didn't mention the device, or what they meant by "tap to speak." Questions about the Select to Speak icon (as described in the link in my previous post) are common here, so I was trying to use my ESP to guess what you meant.

Which phone do you have? Do you have a hands-free or driving mode turned on? When you see that speech-to-text window, is there an X in the corner that you can tap?

ChuckK7MCG

Feb 1, 2019
Visit site
I am having the same problem, on a MOtoE5plus

I cannot get the device to display a data entry keyboard. It just displays a tap to speak window, with a unresponsive X in its top right corner.

renewedman

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
Like many others, I don't how 'tap to speak' came on but I want the option of how to return keypad?
How to I tried acouple of suggestions, below but still no keypad.
I've a moto e5
Please HELP
James

Thanks Rukbat, Your: Settings > System > Language & keyboards > Virtual keyboard > Manage keyboards

Turn off Google voice typing. (And make sure you have at least one keyboard turned on.) Did the trick, thank you.

Adam Wilkes

May 5, 2019
Visit site
I accidentally disabled Google Keyboard App in the list of Apps. Once Enabled, I had a choice of keyboards in the Settings/Language&Input/CurrentKeyboard etc. and the tap to speak nightmare was gone:D

holyguacamole

Jun 3, 2019
Visit site
I have never signed up for any of these techie forums cuz I don't know much... until today.

I have been using android os since 2.x days. I just got 8.x phone yesterday and started to "explore" it. All of a sudden, this "Tap to Speak" feature took over and I couldn't type!! The solution mentioned above,

Settings > System > Language & keyboards > Virtual keyboard > Manage keyboards

Turn off Google voice typing

did NOT work cuz "Turn off Google voice typing" thing is DISABLED. Sigh. My God, what are those nerds at Google thinking?!

Adam Wilkes is my HERO today, cuz Google Keyboard App was disabled (I have no idea how it happened) and once it was enabled, I was able to DISABLE that #$@)*&! thing.

SA11

Nov 23, 2019
Visit site
Please help. I have the same 'tap to speak' issue, where I can't get access to the keyboard to type in my password. The Tap to Speak is on my screen and the 'x' in the top right corner does not respond....it is greyed out. Therefore, I can't get into my phone to change any of these recommended settings to disable it. Can anyone tell me how they were able to get into their phones to disable? Is there a remote access that I can do through a computer?

Oh, please help...anyone??

Adam, I just posted a question. I can't get into my phone to do anything. How did you get into your phone to fix your tap to speak issue.

Thanks so much

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Adam, I just posted a question. I can't get into my phone to do anything. How did you get into your phone to fix your tap to speak issue.

Thanks so much
Welcome to the forums. Which phone do you have? Depending on your model there are different ways to navigate the settings while these accessibility settings are enabled. Just in case you could try swiping with two fingers at the same time and a double, or even triple, tap to select the different options. With this you need to go to your accessibility settings and disable that option.

SA11

Nov 23, 2019
Visit site
Sorry, I can't even try to do that as when I pull down the status bar at the top and try to tap on anything, the Tap to Speak screen comes up. It doesn't allow me to do anything from there. Man, how frustrating. I have even tried to pull it into my computer to see if I can access it from there with no luck. ANy other thoughts?
Thanks

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I can't even try to do that as when I pull down the status bar at the top and try to tap on anything, the Tap to Speak screen comes up. It doesn't allow me to do anything from there. Man, how frustrating. I have even tried to pull it into my computer to see if I can access it from there with no luck. ANy other thoughts?
Thanks
Strange. Does that happen even if you double tap the settings icon after expanding the status bar?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois