No more separate notification tones in Oreo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Galaxy S8. With the recent operating system update, it removed all of my personalized text notification tones. They are now all the same. I cannot figure out how to change them back. Anyone have a clue?

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, it seems that Google has removed the ability to assign contact-specific notification tones from Android 8.0 (Oreo), so it isn’t possible at the moment. Of course, it’s possible that they’ll add this feature back in at some point, but nobody here is able to predict when (or even if) that will happen.

One potential work-around exists, but it involves using Android Messages instead of the stock Samsung messaging app. Download Android Messages from the Google Play store, then open the app and start a conversation with someone. While in the conversation view, tap the menu button (three vertically-stacked dots in the upper right corner of the app), then tap “People & options.” This will present you with the option to assign a ringtone to this conversation. If you ever delete this conversation, however, you’ll have to go through this process again to re-assign your desired ringtone.

If you decide to use Messages as a work-around, you’ll also want to make it your default messaging app. On your Galaxy, open Settings -> Apps, then tap the three-dots menu in the upper right. Tap Default Apps -> Messaging app, and change the default to Android Messages.

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Since this question seems to come up quite a bit I have made this thread a sticky. Community members please feel free to direct folks here in the future when this question comes up! :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, it seems that Google has removed the ability to assign contact-specific notification tones from Android 8.0 (Oreo), so it isn’t possible at the moment. Of course, it’s possible that they’ll add this feature back in at some point, but nobody here is able to predict when (or even if) that will happen.

One potential work-around exists, but it involves using Android Messages instead of the stock Samsung messaging app. Download Android Messages from the Google Play store, then open the app and start a conversation with someone. While in the conversation view, tap the menu button (three vertically-stacked dots in the upper right corner of the app), then tap “People & options.” This will present you with the option to assign a ringtone to this conversation. If you ever delete this conversation, however, you’ll have to go through this process again to re-assign your desired ringtone.

If you decide to use Messages as a work-around, you’ll also want to make it your default messaging app. On your Galaxy, open Settings -> Apps, then tap the three-dots menu in the upper right. Tap Default Apps -> Messaging app, and change the default to Android Messages.

Google's Contacts app had this functionality in it?

Does Samsung's Messages app have the ability to set a per conversation notification tone?

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I’m not sure about Google Contacts. I’ll install it later and find out.

At least on the carrier-branded S9/S9 Plus in the US, no, there are no per-thread notification tones.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I tried Google Contacts, and no, it doesn't allow for personalized messaging tones (but you can set ringtones).

You can set a per-conversation messaging tone in Android Messages:
47cc1e7a911803b48966d8bf91b3d21e.jpg

crackercraig

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not pleased at all with the removal of individual text notifications.
To make matters worse if I decide to use a 3rs party app for messaging than edge lighting won't work. I really enjoy the edge lighting feature when my phone is silent or on vibrate so I can see when I have an incoming message I've not been able to find a 3rd party app that the edge lighting works with. Does anyone know of any messaging apps that have individual notification sounds that works with edge lighting?

Noni Langford

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
Not happy with the removal of the message tones! 😤 The specific tones tell me who's texting me without having to pick up my phone. Also not very comfortable with using a third party app for messages 😶

raemitch

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I've been trying to change to your suggested android "message" app, have uinstalled, opened, all looks good & even changed my contacts alerts back. Gone through the process of changing app to the new "message" option. Rejected galaxy option when opening sms's, even turned off galaxy "message" somewhere (cant renember), restarted my phone, BUT it still defaults back to the galaxy app. HELP!!!!!

sorry, that was meant to read INSTALL. not uinstall.
i am getting very frustrated with this update as i had it all worked out before. i new who was texting me by the message tone.

Last edited by a moderator:

JerseyKim

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I updated my Galaxy S8 before traveling internationally last week, per the directions on the Sprint site. Previously, I had the field and ability to set individual text notifications per contact, so I would know from whom I was receiving texts. Now, that feature no longer exists, and it's extremely frustrating. Most people are talking about it missing on the S9, but I don't think it's an S9 issue; I think it's an Oreo update issue.

I sent a tweet and a direct message to Sprint and @SamsungSupport and this is what I received. Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to add the screen shot to this thread:

"Hi, Jersey. Thanks for reaching out. I understand that this feature is important for you, however, this is one of the changes occurred after the updates. Nevertheless, we value your feedback regarding this feature, you may use this link to voice out your input: https://t.co/BoCvDkfBlv. If you have other questions, feel free to ask. ^Justine"

Not helpful, but I filled one out. Has anyone gotten confirmation that they will roll out a fix for this? If not, I'll be going to a third party text app. I'll miss the edge light, but the sound is much more helpful.

BreAnne Stretch

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
This is ridiculous! I use this to know if certain people (my kids espically) are texting me and need an immediate response or if (work) I can reply when I have the chance. This is the MAIN feature I LOVE on my Note 8, if they don't want to bring it back I know myself and quite a few others with business accounts that will drop Samsung and go to iPhones that do have this feature. I am so peeved right now, as is our IT manager.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Is the individual contact custom notification that's missing with the Oreo update only for text messages or is the option to choose individual ringtones for each contact on phone calls also missing? If it's only texts, I already have a workaround planned but if it's missing for ringtones for calls as well, I'll not update to Oreo.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Is the individual contact custom notification that's missing with the Oreo update only for text messages or is the option to choose individual ringtones for each contact on phone calls also missing? If it's only texts, I already have a workaround planned but if it's missing for ringtones for calls as well, I'll not update to Oreo.
Got the answer elsewhere here.

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
It's only for text messages.. Please what is your work around???

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae