No more separate notification tones in Oreo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Galaxy S8. With the recent operating system update, it removed all of my personalized text notification tones. They are now all the same. I cannot figure out how to change them back. Anyone have a clue?

EvilPandaFTW

Jun 27, 2018
Visit site
I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, I found the answer. If you go to a contact and select the 3 dots in the right upper corner, go to customize, and then notification "Sound" will be right there.

djfnklf

Jun 30, 2018
Visit site
I have been extremely upset over this. It doesn't make any sense. I do not like this new update. I have the Galaxy S7.

Why should you have to download another app to get what we had before

Why should we have to download the app. The Sammobile wants me to sign up etc. I should not have too

Last edited by a moderator:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@djfnklf if you simply update the Samsung messages app through the Galaxy app market you should have the capability returned in form of per-thread sound settings. It's not a new app, it's simply an update to one on your device.

Epitome

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Latest update for what? The version referenced is for the messaging app itself.

Correct - this is for the Messaging app and has to do with the ability to assign a 'unique' Notification tone for specific Contacts. For instance, I give more importance to a message from my wife, so in prior versions [like my S7 which I am tempted to go back to] I could assign a specific Notification tone to her Contact information.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Correct - this is for the Messaging app and has to do with the ability to assign a 'unique' Notification tone for specific Contacts. For instance, I give more importance to a message from my wife, so in prior versions [like my S7 which I am tempted to go back to] I could assign a specific Notification tone to her Contact information.

I'm still using a GS7 on Nougat, and the message tone assigned in Android Messages, overrides the message tone I have assigned to my wife in the Contacts app.

Axle Grease

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
New here, been reading this thread as I just did the update and discovered this very frustration issue. Saw this fix as stated above but when I go to my Galaxy apps I can't seem to find the message update?

What should I search for?

Version 5.0.21.18 should already be installed. What version do you have?

The process for setting an individualised notification sound (not really a ringtone) is fairly convoluted. So in case you do have that version installed I'll explain the process I went through to set an individualised sound.

I select the Messages app, then select the *Conversations* tab, then I *tap* the entry for my mate "Chasse". Tap the 3 dots on the top right-hand corner. Under "Conversation Settings" appears the sub-heading "Notifications". By default it is set to "Default". Tap on it, and select "Custom", then tap on the settings cog to the right which takes me to the "APP NOTIFICATIONS" page where I can set the notification sound. Samsung provides a truly dull selection of notification sounds, so I put my own ringtone mp4 file in the Notifications folder. That audio file will get appended to the list of notification sounds.

Actually, all I cared about was individualised ringtones for voice calls. Samsung gutted its Contacts app, so I purchased Drupe to fulfil that function.

Last edited:

Jmom2boys

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
Version 5.0.21.18 should already be installed. What version do you have?

The process for setting an individualised notification sound (not really a ringtone) is fairly convoluted. So in case you do have that version installed I'll explain the process I went through to set an individualised sound.

I select the Messages app, then select the *Conversations* tab, then I *tap* the entry for my mate "Chasse". Tap the 3 dots on the top right-hand corner. Under "Conversation Settings" appears the sub-heading "Notifications". By default it is set to "Default". Tap on it, and select "Custom", then tap on the settings cog to the right which takes me to the "APP NOTIFICATIONS" page where I can set the notification sound. Samsung provides a truly dull selection of notification sounds, so I put my own ringtone mp4 file in the Notifications folder. That audio file will get appended to the list of notification sounds.

Actually, all I cared about was individualised ringtones for voice calls. Samsung gutted its Contacts app, so I purchased Drupe to fulfil that function.

I do know how to set individualized ringtones, and I did know how to set individualized notification sounds, but with the new oreo update, the individualized notification tones option is gone. In my previous post, I quoted someone with a fix for it. I was looking for clarification on that fix. It said that to fix the issue, go to the galaxy apps and download the latest version of messages. I can't seem to do that.

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
I'm running Messages 5.0.11.18 and none of the suggestions work. So I'm assuming who ever the "moderator on the company’s forums confirmed that the feature would return in a future update. Make sure to visit Galaxy Apps and grab version 4.4.30.5 of Messages." was misinformed. As well as the above Tap the 3 dots on the top right-hand corner. Under "Conversation Settings" appears the sub-heading "Notifications". because it's not there either. Sure wish they would FIX this downgrade.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That is not a solution unless you want to lose every text thread you have.

I don't see how updating Samsung Messages and using that to set ringtones for each message thread (if using a Samsung device) will cause loss of the existing text threads, can you elaborate?

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb d

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
yes you can set individual contact tones in Oreo ! I have the S7 edge with Oreo. it's changed. almost like Textra right now. You have to wait to get a message from that person. Open message. Tap 3 dots on right top./Notifications/Custom/wheel/Importance+High... sound... choose! Now save the message from them because samsung is getting a fix for it because if you delete that message, you'll go back to default. Not sure about Note 8 phone. Maybe the same?? :)

Jmom2boys

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
yes you can set individual contact tones in Oreo ! I have the S7 edge with Oreo. it's changed. almost like Textra right now. You have to wait to get a message from that person. Open message. Tap 3 dots on right top./Notifications/Custom/wheel/Importance+High... sound... choose! Now save the message from them because samsung is getting a fix for it because if you delete that message, you'll go back to default. Not sure about Note 8 phone. Maybe the same?? :)

Was there an update?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Again...... this is not the fix everyone is complaining about needing. You've already discovered if you delete the text message conversation, you loose the custom tone. The fix needs to happen to the "Contacts" so if a conversation gets/is deleted, the tone still stays on the custom tone.

Lillieperl

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
Wow- I joined this forum today just to ask about this! I've been a hardcore BlackBerry user for many years, and the separate notifications for calls and messages (both emails & texts) from the same contact were part of the BB operating system. Just got a new Key2 (Android) yesterday and was dismayed to find that I can set individual ringtones for phone calls but not for messages (emails & texts). Dang! I always really liked hearing the notification sound and knowing who was texting me. I don't know if the solutions y'all have found for other Android phones will work with my b@st@rd child, but I'll give it a try! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae