Every time my phone updates, the basic apps take up more and more storage and memory space, to the point I am now getting alerts of some system functions possibly not working. I have deleted and disabled as many apps as I can identify to allow for optimum performance, and all but 4 pictures and zero video, but am now out of other option. How do I reclaim the space I once had? What standard apps can safely be removed (ie; Lookout, Google Play Store) without causing future problems?
    03-28-2018 12:29 PM
    03-28-2018 12:31 PM
    I would go to Google Play and make sure the option to auto-update apps is turned off. That way you don't have to worry about updating them unless you specifically want to.

If you do a lot of texting, make sure old messages are deleted. You may want a third party SMS app that can auto delete messages if it's a hassle for you to do so yourself.

You can try clearing app and system cache, but this will have mixed results. Yes it will free up space for a time, but those caches will be rebuilt over time and cause the same problems again. Not to mention the possibility of slowing overall performance and increasing data usage (I.e. Chrome having to re-download photos instead of retrieving them from cache).

My guess is you are on an old, or budget phone with limited storage to begin with. That puts you at risk of running out of space rather quickly. Now compound that with all updates growing their sizes (due to added features and such), and this sort of problem is inevitable.
    03-28-2018 12:43 PM