I have had a Moto X Pure for a little over 2 yrs. For almost 2 wks now I am experiencing a huge issue with it...it randomly opens any app, the camera, turns my bluetooth, wifi, airplane mode on/off, takes pictures, creates calendar events...as if possessed. I have done a factory reset multiple times, installed multiple antivirus apps...I don't know what else to try. It has never been dropped, sat on, run over, or taken for a swim. Sometimes it will miraculously start working perfectly for a few days, and then the craziness starts again. any suggestions?
    04-03-2018 10:32 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Does this also happen in Safe Mode? https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9541
    04-03-2018 10:36 AM
    I hadn't been told by anyone @motorola on how to do that, only to do a factory reset. I just tried this and it is still doing it.
    04-03-2018 11:13 AM
    Does it look as if your touchscreen is being used by a ghost when this is happening? If so, it's likely a hardware fault. Usually it's in the phone itself, like an electrical ground gone bad, but I have had it happen to me due to a USB cable going bad.
    04-03-2018 11:18 AM
    Yes, it is as if it is possessed, like a ghost is playing with it, opening EVERYTHING, taking pictures, making phone calls...and when i try to stop it or close out what's opening I cannot as it is locked. It happens while on any charging cable, including the original turbo wall charger from Motorola. Putting is in safe mode didn't change anything
    04-03-2018 11:22 AM
    It happens while on any charging cable, including the original turbo wall charger from Motorola. Putting is in safe mode didn't change anything
    So it's only happening while on the charging cable? If so, I'd try replacing the cable first, and charger second.
    04-03-2018 11:27 AM
    So if it's a problem with the hardware itself, like an electrical ground gone bad as you indicated, is there a fix for that or is the resolution to get another phone?
    04-03-2018 11:29 AM
    no it happens whether on a cable or not...all the time.
    04-03-2018 11:29 AM
    no it happens whether on a cable or not...all the time.
    Gotcha. Yes, these can be fixed, but not sure if a local repair shop can do it. I've sometimes seen this attributed to a defect in the screen/digitizer and a simple replacement fixed it. But if it's something deeper and requiring a diagnostic, then you may have to send it back to Motorola. At that point, it may be better to just replace the phone due to the cost and time to repair yours.
    04-03-2018 11:34 AM
    Motorola charges a decent amount for it: $125 for the repair/replacement. And if you want a phone sent to you first as opposed to waiting until they get the device then it's an additional $24.99 AND they put a security hold on your credit card of $200.00 until all is completed. It's really frustrating as this phone is only a little over 2 yrs old and well maintained. I've looked at the replacement screen on Ebay and see they average $60 - just not sure if I want to spend that for it to still act up and still have to send out to Motorola - and I certainly can't afford to buy a new phone.
    04-03-2018 11:39 AM
    Being over 2 years old, I'd strongly consider just upgrading and making use of a trade in deal, especially if you can trade in at a local store. They usually aren't as critical when examining it. If it powers up and doesn't have water damage, that's good enough for full credit.

Unless someone else chimes in with something else that helps, it doesn't sound like you have any good options. In that light, trading it in may be the least bad option.
    04-03-2018 11:45 AM
    If the phone has a screen protector on, try taking it off and cleaning the screen thoroughly.
    04-03-2018 12:34 PM
    It has a tempered glass screen protector on it, I'd need help with that as I am terrible at taking those things on & off
    04-03-2018 02:30 PM
    Look around the edges of the screen protector -- do you see any air bubbles? If so, focus on that area and see if you can get a fingernail under the protector's edge. Then gently exert some upward pressure until it starts to peel away.
    04-03-2018 11:25 PM