Th android tv box works ,sort of running on the weak signal I get from the Router, I hooked up A TP-link wifi extender and it has A great signal, but I can't seem to get yhr android box connected to that signal, Can I set up A static ip address or something?
    04-03-2018 02:50 PM
    First, the extender has to get a good signal from the router and the TV box has to get a good signal from the extender. One good and the other bad won't work. So the extender has to be somewhere between the router and the TV box - exactly where depends on the layout of the house. But right near the router or right near the TV box won't work.

Second, the IP range of the extender on the LAN side should not be the same as the IP range of the router (IOW, 192.168.1 on the router, but 192.168.0 on the extender - or the other way; if you can use a 10. or a 172. address on one of them, that's even better), but it should be set to automatically get an IP address on the WAN (or input) side. You don't want the TV to accidentally pick up the weak router signal. (You really should be using a wifi router as an extender - it works better, it's easier to set up properly and it's usually cheaper, even though there's more in it than there is in an extender.) Do not use a static IP in the TV box (or the extender) unless you can do IP masking in your head. If you try, even if you get everything else set up correctly, you probably pick a static IP that won't work.

Give the extender a totally different SSID from the router, so you'll know instantly which signal you're connecting to. Start it with ext or something like that. Make sure it's broadcasting its SSID. Put it on a different channel from the router. Then you should be able to see the extender, and connect to it. (If you have an Android phone, run Wi-Fi Analytics Tool so you can see what's on which channel.)

Oh - of course make sure that you're not running a 5GHz extender with a TV box that can only do 2.4GHz wifi. (That's so obvious that some professionals miss it.)
    04-04-2018 01:05 PM