Hi, I'm considering buying a new Verizon branded phone that has been unlocked (presumably by a third-party). Would the phone still get OTA Android updates and security patches, even if I use the phone on another network?

I've only had factory unlocked phones and I'm not clear on how it works on branded phones. I'd appreciate any help.
    04-08-2018 06:30 PM
    Hi, I'm considering buying a new Verizon branded phone that has been unlocked (presumably by a third-party). Would the phone still get OTA Android updates and security patches, even if I use the phone on another network?

I've only had factory unlocked phones and I'm not clear on how it works on branded phones. I'd appreciate any help.
    Not sure if the practice has changed, but it used to be that it can only get the update if the SIM card inserted was from the original carrier.
    vocho likes this.
    04-08-2018 06:38 PM
    Thanks chanchan05. Do you know if there is a workaround for this? It seems like it must be a common problem.
    04-08-2018 08:45 PM
    Thanks chanchan05. Do you know if there is a workaround for this? It seems like it must be a common problem.
    The only work around I know of is to manually flash the update.
    04-08-2018 08:48 PM
    All Verizon phones are unlocked, no 3rd party involved.

I started a T-Mobile plan about a year ago and used my Verizon S7 on T-Mobile while the device payment was active on Verizon, there is no lock.

While using T-Mobile I didn't receive a single update of any kind, I had to put my Verizon SIM back in to update the phone.
    vocho likes this.
    04-09-2018 12:51 AM
    For the record - the SIM apparently doesn't have to be active, it just has to be a Verizon SIM.
    vocho likes this.
    04-09-2018 04:59 AM
    Thanks guys, this is helpful. It looks like I can buy a Verizon SIM card for $10 or less. Can I put that in every so often and expect to get all the patches and updates as you normally would?

I want to get a Pixel in part because of the quicker (and longer?) updates, and I don't want to drop $300 on the phone unless I'm sure I'll actually get them.
    04-09-2018 09:13 AM
    Thanks guys, this is helpful. It looks like I can buy a Verizon SIM card for $10 or less. Can I put that in every so often and expect to get all the patches and updates as you normally would?

I want to get a Pixel in part because of the quicker (and longer?) updates, and I don't want to drop $300 on the phone unless I'm sure I'll actually get them.
    Yes AFAIK that should work. You only need to do it once a month anyway. And you can always check this forum if updates have dropped anyway.
    vocho likes this.
    04-09-2018 09:23 AM
    Why buy it from Verizon just to use it on another carrier? The device is available direct from Google and you don't have to worry about the update process.
    04-09-2018 09:26 AM
    Why buy it from Verizon just to use it on another carrier? The device is available direct from Google and you don't have to worry about the update process.
    I would rather buy it from Google, but they've been slow to drop the price (and they're out of stock right now too). I found a good deal from a reputable seller on ebay that gets overstock (maybe returns?) from Verizon.
    04-09-2018 10:08 AM
    Google still issues the updates - go to Google | Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices. (There doesn't seem to be a separate Verizon update in quite a while - they all get the same updates.)

But if you go to Settings/System/wherever the update screen is (put update in the search bar in Settings), you should be able to update it over the air, even if you have to force it by tapping the button. (Be aware that Pixel [the original or the 2, the plain or the XL] come around the 5th of the month - every month, although I've heard that they come on the first Monday of the month. They did this month. Wait a few days after that and read the forums, just in case there's some monumental "it bricked my phone" bug that everyone is getting.)
    vocho likes this.
    04-10-2018 04:24 PM
    Google still issues the updates - go to Google | Full OTA Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices. (There doesn't seem to be a separate Verizon update in quite a while - they all get the same updates.)

But if you go to Settings/System/wherever the update screen is (put update in the search bar in Settings), you should be able to update it over the air, even if you have to force it by tapping the button. (Be aware that Pixel [the original or the 2, the plain or the XL] come around the 5th of the month - every month, although I've heard that they come on the first Monday of the month. They did this month. Wait a few days after that and read the forums, just in case there's some monumental "it bricked my phone" bug that everyone is getting.)
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. This is good news! Can't wait to get the new phone.
    04-11-2018 05:02 PM
    Just wanted to follow up in case anyone had a similar question. I've had the Pixel for a few days now. The OTA updates were sent to the phone right away (up to 8.1.0) without having to use a Verizon SIM card, as some people suggested above. (This may be unique to the Pixel though, I'm not sure.)
    04-14-2018 03:32 PM