Hi! The car’s microphone is strangely low or not functioning at all when connected via Bluetooth on my Galaxy S9+ and WhatsApp.

Regular calls do work via Bluetooth (inbound and outbound) but not ‘media calls’? I get audio but no one can hear me. This is a most noticeable issue on the WhatsApp application when placing a voice all.

I tested this on two different cars: Sonata 2015 and Santa Fe 2017. Since both are Hyundai cars, could that be culprit to my issue?

Troubleshooting steps taken:

-re-synced phones;
    -re-installed WhatsApp application on phone;
    -disabled Dolby Atmos on phone;
    -normal phone reboot;
    -forced reboot phone;
    -tried second car (both Hyundai);
    -tried calling people on different phones (same results).

Anyone experiencing the same? Any suggestions please?

Thanks.
    04-11-2018 05:22 AM
    "Media calls" meaning what? Chats via some app (like WhatsApp)? "Calls" normally means phone calls.

Check the car's listing in the Bluetooth page in Settings (when the phone is connected to the car's audio system, of course). Hit the hamburger (the gear) next to the car's name. See if "media" is checked. If not, tap that, go back a page, go back in and make sure it "sticks". You may have to do it a couple of times to get it to stick.

If that's not it, does the same thing happen if you use a Bluetooth headset? (Borrow one if you don't have one.) If it does, it's a Bluetooth problem (the motherboard). The phone's under warranty, and that should be covered (it won't be if moisture got into the phone, or you did something else to cause it).
    04-11-2018 01:10 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I tried my PS3 bluetooth headset with the phone and got interesting results.

Phone calls do work normally with the headset but WhatsApp calls won't. When removing the bluetooth device from ear and putting next to mouth though, then it works. I can then hear the audio coming out from the other phone as it should.

I tried this same method in the cars and same results. The headset and cars' mics are working but really low when on WhatsApp. Only works when talking really loud right into the mics. I already turned the cars' mics to the highest voulume but that doesn't do anything it seems.

Any ideas on why WhatsApp calls would be so low? There's no setting for turning mic volume up.

Is this a hardware issue? It doesn't seem to be as phone calls work without a problem.

Thanks.
    04-11-2018 08:12 PM