The first time I set up the chromecast it worked perfectly. Now my apps only recognize it half the time, even though the internet is working fine. Why????? I have reset it multiple times.
    04-15-2018 08:30 PM
    What phone?
    04-16-2018 05:37 AM
    Samsung Galaxy 6
    04-16-2018 07:44 AM
    The chromecast is upstairs in the bedroom, and our router is downstairs, so I wonder if our Wifi is just not strong enough. But the chromecast and the phone always show up as being connected to the same server. They just won't sync most of the time. Oddly enough, my phone recognizes my neighbor's "nearby device" more often than my chromecast which is 5 feet away! Could this be interfering?

I'm ready to just take it back. It shouldn't be this hard.
    04-16-2018 07:48 AM
    When you run Google Home, does it find the Chromecast by name? If not, it's the typical wifi problem - wifi is designed to work on one level, not upstairs/downstairs. (Antennas are directional.) There's an HDMI extension cable that comes with the Chromecast - try using that but twist the Chromecast 90° along its long axis (the cable connecting the Chromecast to the TV will allow you to do that if you're gentle) and see if that makes the signal stronger at the phone.
    04-16-2018 12:08 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! It may also be worth rebooting the Chromecast, or even doing a factory reset of it and setting it back up again. But I agree with Rukbat -- the problem might have more to do with poor wi-fi signal strength. You could consider moving your router closer, getting a wi-fi extender, or changing to a mesh router system.
    04-16-2018 07:43 PM