None of my computers recognize any of my phones.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

What is going on? None of my computers are even seeing any of my phones.

I have two android phones (Samsung Note 5 and S8+) and three windows computers. 2 using Windows 10 and two using Windows 8.1. I have tried every cable I have with every computer and every phone. They don't even show up in device manager. There's absolutely no recognition that anything has plugged into the computer. But the phones are receiving charge. The USB ports are working fine. They work perfectly well for flash drives and other peripherals like my printer. I've got developer mode turned on for both phones. I've activated USB debugging, and I've tried it without USB debugging. I tried revoking USB debugging authorization and restarting USB debugging. I tried MTP and PTP. Obviously everything is fully updated. AND I reinstalled the android driver! I can't think of anything else to try!

WHAT IS GOING ON? I've never seen anything like it!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't have affected the Note 5, but Oreo resets the USB connection to Charge every time you plug the cable in. You have to set it to MTP every time. (I've already written to Google about it. Someone left his head home when he made that decision.)

And it won't show up in Device Manager if you don't have the driver installed. But it (either phone) should up as a drive in Explorer - once you make sure the phone is set to MTP or PTP.

Also, I don't know where the problem lies, but the Pixel 2s won't work right with USB 3.0. 2.1 is fine, so is 3.1, but if the port and cable are both 3.0, it doesn't work. So you might try an old 2.0 cable with a type C adapter if you have 3.0 ports. (I found one Windows box that even the 2.0 ports wouldn't work on with a 3.0 cable. It seems as if the computer end is affected by just having the capability of doing 3.0.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20