Some scammer sent me an anonymous text message, "Service Msg: You phone requires a software update. You will receive a notification on your phone. Please click 'install' to update. It's safe and secure."

The problem is that they somehow did cause my phone to display a notification "Download complete Tap to install new software."

So how do I delete that notification and whatever software it's linked to without Tapping it? I'm using Android 6.0.1 on a Samsung phone.

Thanks.
    05-01-2018 02:23 PM
    So the software installed itself overnight, with no permission from me. It claims to have updated Android, but what else would a scammer say? No indication what-so-ever where it came from or who installed it on me.

You'd have to be very careless to use Android to access anything you care about like bank accounts and such. It requires too high a level of trust for my taste.
    05-02-2018 10:10 AM
    I spoke to TracFone Wireless about this issue, and they promised me that it was a legitimate text message, not from Android or Google, and not from TracFone Wireless, but from Samsung. Nevertheless, I did not want to stall him install any updates on my phone, because I liked the way things already were.

I had the same problem, using a Samsung Galaxy J-3 with the TracFone service as my carrier. Apparently, it's the problem can be solved by blocking push notifications from Samsung updates or anything that looks similar to Samsung updates, Indy system preferences under notifications. Even if you have the notification message on your screen and cannot get rid of it in order to reject the update, if you first block all notifications from Samsung, and then reboot your phone, apparently that notification message goes away, and the update does not install. So far, this is the solution for me but, knock on wood, tomorrow something new could develop, I suppose.
    01-23-2019 01:14 PM